Encouragement needed...........

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Sandramay
Resident

Encouragement needed...........

Postby Sandramay » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:20 am

........... please, from you fellow gardeners. I've been a lifelong gardening enthusiast, used to contending with the pests, diseases, weeds, weather and backache but I'm wondering wether to swap it all for a window box. Two years ago we had a terrible fire in Spain and on Thursday my garden in England was under three feet of water.... correction.... sewerage.
I know I should look for the silver linings, both houses escaped damage and lots of free ash or fertilizer for the soil, but it is disheartening. Of course all the authorities here are busy passing the buck and as far as I know the man who started the fire in Spain is still unpunished.
My main blessing is I am so lucky to have wonderful neighbours in both countries, especially now, with Gavin gone. Thursday they saved the garden furniture and grandchildren's toys from being swept away, rescued some of the fish from the pond as the water receded and yesterday pumped out the green house for me. Sadly all the contaminated salad and soft fruit will have to be composted.
Sorry to sound like an old moaning minny. I know many are FAR worse off than myself but I love my garden and get so much pleasure from it. Is it worth the heartache?
Sandramay

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: Encouragement needed...........

Postby Paula » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Oh dear, you must be so upset. Sorry to hear you have been a victim of the bad weather in UK.

You won't need much encouragement, once a little time has passed and the mess is somewhat cleared you will want your garden looking good again. I think if you have always been a keen gardener and enjoyed what you create, then you will do it all again.
Try to think of it as a new project, and use the opportunity to maybe make some changes that you wanted or new designs or something.
I know I am making it all sound so easy, I do sympathise :(

Sandramay
Resident

Re: Encouragement needed...........

Postby Sandramay » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Thank you Paula. It's still raining, but at least it is washing some of the gunge off the plants! I might think about getting the surround to the fish pond heightened, but as it is a natural pond, to encourage wild life, I don't want it to resemble the Rules Dam :think:
Some good has come of not being able to garden ...... I've turned to the decorating!
I'm back out to Spain near the end of the month, hopefully to do some gardening in the
sunshine :thumbup:
Sandramay