What will climb up dead tree trunks?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

What will climb up dead tree trunks?

Postby gavilan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:25 pm

I have a mature eucalyptus tree which has been dying for some time. I do not want to cut it down and was wondering what plants might climb up the trunk? There are also several mature Wellingtonian palm trees here which have grown so high that the most dominant part is the trunk. So I was thinking to plant something similar to climb around them. It is also an incredibly windy garden so plants have to stand up to quite a battering! Any suggestions would be most welcome.

gina59
Resident

Re: What will climb up dead tree trunks?

Postby gina59 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:10 pm

solanum (potato vine) its fast growing, dosn't need much water and very hardy. Mine have flowered all winter, not spectacular just small white heads of flowers, but it is evergreen. :)
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Thank you for that suggestion gina59 ... one question: will it attach itself to tree trunk or will it need help?!

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:42 am

probally help.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:21 am

Without help/support, ivies, ipomea and hydrangea petiolaris will soon take hold,as they produce ariel roots. With some help, wire, netting etc. then many vines, creepers can be grown, jasmin, plumbago, begonia venusta, trumpet vine etc. A point to remember though is that the soil condition beneath an old tree will be pretty poor and lacking nutients, so new plants would benefit from some help. Sorry I can't be of more help, my Spanish gardening book is in Spain and I'm not ;( Happy gardening.
PS Solanum is a good climber and also comes in other colours.
Sandramay

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Sandramay: thanks for your suggestions ... will go to my local vivero and see what they have.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Watch yourself :wtf: - My brother who lives in Oz mentioned that mature eucalyptus tend to drop branches when they are living and may be even more dangerous when dead.

We have quite a few dead elm trees which only died in the last five years (Dutch Elm Disease). We have climbers called the scented Star Jasmine (trachelospermum jasminoides) and the unscented Potato Vine (solanum jasminoides) growing up them. However, the weight of these climbers can add to the mass of these dead trees and may cause branches to fall in a stiff breeze.

terry

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks for the warning telboy ... so far only a few minor twigs have dropped off!