Bonfires

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
debsiwebs
Tourist

Bonfires

Postby debsiwebs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:30 pm

I've been told there are new laws for bonfires in the campo now. We've been away for eight months and have missed a lot. We're in the Puente Genil area living in the campo and the garden has become so overgrown it needs to be cleared. We always used to burn it but now it seems we aren't allowed to. Could you tell me if this is correct?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bonfires

Postby Enrique » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi debsiwebs,
If the locals are using shredders to clear their olive pruning see about adding your stuff to their rows .

We used to burn over this way but now most use shredders pulled behind tractors.

If you're deep in the campo then you could just use the old method, keep it hot and there will not be any tell tale smoke............ :angel:

"I've been told there are new laws for bonfires in the campo now"...why don't these people give you a link to the relevant Decree.......... :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:54 pm

I asked our alcalde. His answer was typically obtuse.

Alright to have a fire(small is good) till the end of April or middle to end of May- depends on whether it has rained. You could apply for permission from the town hall.

Two years ago a neighbour had three huge pruning fires in his grove in third week of May. They could be seen from outerspace no doubt. Two rather nice gents(Seprona) arrived on nice scrambler bikes. Fined him heavily. I have applied several times ,without success, for that job.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 pm

If you start a fire as a result of your bonfire you not only get fined but have to pay the entire cost of having it put out.

Helicoptors don't come cheap!

Sid

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:17 am

I was one of two innocent victims of an out of control illegal campo fire. My neighbours had to be evacuated. I was threatened with a €15,000 fine if I did not make a statement to the court, even though I was in the UK at the time. The devastation and filth from the ash was heart breaking. I lost quite a few trees.Then I was charged a contribution towards the fire fighting costs (but they did save our house) To my knowledge the chap who was denounced and charged with burning his prunings has still not gone to court...... after nearly four years.
Sandramay

Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Anntonio » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:51 am

I had to get a licence from the town hall each November with other campo owners, had to go on a certain date,around the 19th and a certain time. This was free and advertised in advance. I could then have bonfires from then up till 14th april. From 8am till 1pm, not near boundies or on sundays or fiesta days.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Best contact your Ayuntamiento and get the exact dates for the strict 'No Fires' Summer months. In our area during the Summer months a bi-planes often flies over on the look out for illegal fires, they can pin point exactly where you are and will have the Guardia Civil and the Junta pay you a visit within the hour. We know, it happened to us :!:

terry