Tomato or weed?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Unicorn
Resident

Tomato or weed?

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:50 pm

I have a fifth floor open type terrace and two planters. I recently put some geraniums in as cuttings and by some miracle they have taken (I am not blessed with green fingers). I have been watering quite a lot to help them along and growing beside them are some other, all the same, plants. They could be weeds but I think they could be cherry tomatoes as this happened to me a couple of years ago with an alien plant that produced lovely cherry toms that I had not planted.
What is the likelihood of them being toms? Would the seeds have been blown in or could they have been lying in the soil in wait for some water for a couple of years. I have compared the leaves on the internet and they look like tom leaves or am I deluding myself.

Or could they be triffids?

Cheers all

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tomato or weed?

Postby olive » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Tomato seeds are very,very hardy.

An elderly uncle told us about when he was a child the night soil pits had tomato plants growing in them in their local village. they had passed through human gut and survived bitter cold winter and still germinated!!

My guess is could well be tomato. :lolno:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:23 pm

If it germinates in my care it is truly hardy!

I think they toms are too. I will let them carry on for the mo.

Cheers Olive. Was I any help with the TV?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:49 am

Was I any help with the TV?

Yes you were, thanks.

Ordered and paid for a40/ 5700 from PCcomponentes on Monday. paid 2 euros extra for 24 hour delivery.

had a call last night, delivery Thursday Morning.!

It will of course be always known as the Unicorn :lolno: :lolno:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:56 am

I found this helpful for changing the hub, notably be very close to the screen when doing it
http://help.unotelly.com/support/soluti ... ray-player.

Good luck with the Unicorn. Now let's pray for my 'tomatoes'.

Edit, not sure that link works but go to uno telly change hub Samsung and the info is there. Also into from the resident experts on threads here.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi Unicorn,
Please use the URL tab in the posting box for log URL's

Example..................

http://help.unotelly.com/support/articl ... or-the-new
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi Enrique

Will attempt to do so.

Cheers

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Unicorn
Meanwhle back at the tomato plants - the best way is to rub the stalk or leaf and if it smells of tomatoes you are on a winner. :angel: There are a couple of weeds that might mascarade as tomato plants but do not smell of tomatoes! :wave:
Your tomatoes will need more water than your geraniums and you will need to give them support with sticks and tie them up as they grow, especially if they are cherry tomatoes which tend to get a bit long in the leg. They do like a bit of food too, especially if you are keeping them in a pot - general cheap liquid fertiliser diluted with your watering will help them along. :thumbup:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks for that. They do smell of tomatoes when rubbing the leaves. I just cannot understand where they all came from. As i said I had a tomato plant that must have flown in from somewhere but that was a while back. Nothing since then but I had not really watered that planter until this year and suddenly the are about 20 plants. Could they all have come from one plant and lain dormant all that time?

And they are shooting up very quickly.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:59 pm

The seeds will keep for several years in a packet in DRY conditions, so you must have replicated this with not watering them !! Another source could be any compost you have added to the pot? Otherwise bird droppings, or even someone not fancying a tomato in a salad and stuffing it in the pot :shock:
And they do grow quickly once they get going - they only have a short season to get to several feet high and producing all those tomatoes. Hope you do get some off them!
We had a bonus this year when a tomato that must have dropped off one of last years plants had rotted over winter and lo and behold we had a nice little group of plants come up about February and since we had no frost this year, they have survived - got the first serving of cherry tomatoes last week!
If yours are getting a bit crowded it might be worth separating some out into another pot, or two, or three and give them a bit of space - 20 sounds a lot for one planter!!
Enjoy :wave:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:41 pm

I am starting to lose heart and think I must be smothering some weeds with kindness. The plants are now about two foot tall, loads of leaves but no flowers or tomatoes. Should they have blossomed by now?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Keep watering - at least you have some greenery in there, more than can be said of most of Andalucía in this heat at present! Yes, they should have flowered by now, small yellow flowers, but since you started this operation only in early June, they may be a bit behind, and still catching up on the usual planting time of April ... give them a chance ... as long as an early frost doesn't get them you may have tomatoes by November :clap:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks. I'll keep going until I get a letter from the Weed Appreciation Society..... :clap:

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:11 am

by the way --- how are the geraniums doing? :silent:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:26 am

Growing well but no flowers. :thumbup:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Gasman!
Geranium flowers are coming out at last!!!!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap:
We'll have you in the gardener's club yet!! :thumbup:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Only making the tea Gasman. :clap: