Garden waste

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Garden waste

Postby ashtondav » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:22 am

No fires allowed now, so where do i take all the garden waste - clippings, weeds, leaves etc. Location near Nerja

ValL
Resident

Re: Garden waste

Postby ValL » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:10 am

Am I wrong in thinking the Ayuntamiento issue that info along with the bonfire info ?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:39 am

Next time you go to Lidl, or you are in the vicinity thereof nip into the estate on the West side. Go as far as you can and you will reach the Nerja tip, they might have a green waste skip.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:58 am

I my area I shread then pack in black bin bags and put in the communal bin, as advised by our Town Hall

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:01 am

Get a compost bin............. compost, then dig in ........... :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Enrique - composting not as easy as it sounds. I've tried and can't keep it damp enough. Branches, etc I shred and tie into plastic bags, having given them a good water. Leave 6 months and you can put it back on garden. Leaves I shred and tie up. Takes a bit longer, but again makes good mulch
AlisonB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Using a conventional slatted wood bin will not work as its too dry (Spain).........I have one of these.....made from pallets....... :(

Use a plastic cone bin with a lid......ideally you have two, and build a "heap " in one quickly, after 10 days turn into the other empty bin........ repeat .......

For cuttings of wood ....use a wood chipper .....for olive prunings get your friendly farmer in with a tractor and shredder.

Will depend on your definition of "Garden"............ :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:37 pm

I've successfully composted in a large black, handled plant container, the type they supply trees in from garden centres. Found at basura!

You will need to find something to cover it completely (weigh it down to prevent rats etc).

I put garden and vegetable/fruit waste in mine and it makes great compost. If its a bit dry I water it.

There are drainage holes in the bottom, and these allow worms to come up (although when I initially set mine up I brought some brandling worms from my UK compost bin in a well sealed plastic box - they have multiplied.

Its useful to have a couple of containers so you can turn the whole lot over occasionally. When compost is 'made' I transfer it to black lidded dustbins ready for potting or whatever.