Woolly aphid on marjoram & tarragon

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Woolly aphid on marjoram & tarragon

Postby gavilan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:01 pm

I have found woolly aphid before on the grapefruit tree but did not know it liked herbs as well. As I don't like chemical sprays, does anyone have a home-made recipe? ... (like diluted washing up liquid for blackfly)

alisonb
Resident

Re: Woolly aphid on marjoram & tarragon

Postby alisonb » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:31 pm

I've found flota washing up liquid gets rid of most things. It worked on my woolly aphids last year, although I did catch it quickly
AlisonB

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Enhance your washing up liquid with a couple of drops of baby oil, or liquid paraffin, even petrol... and shake into an emulsion. When the water dries on the aphids the oil blocks there pores and prevents them from breathing.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:06 pm

My thanks to alisonb and Martin Page for your helpful 'recipes' ... thanks again

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Since these are on your herb plants, you might want to avoid the liquid paraffin or petrol .... if you don't have baby oil, olive oil will do just as well and if you have aphids or greenfly on other plants, do them too! :clap:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:56 am

Gasman thanks for your pertinent comment ... by chance I had used olive oil as did not have baby oil in the house ... but with my concern about the aphids I had competely overlooked that I use these herbs in cooking!