Irrigation timings

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Irrigation timings

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Planted a whole lot of stuff in the last month. Everything from plumbagos to angels trumpet and hibiscus.

Although I realise all plants have different requirements what is the best irrigation timetable for a broad mix of Mediterranean plants and flowers? I currently set the system for 30 mins at 2 AM every 24 hours. Should I be watering twice a day? Manual not an option as I'm away every 2 or 3 months.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Irrigation timings

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:27 pm

It's difficult to say, it depends on the amount of water that the system actually delivers which depends on the water pressure and the sprinklers on the end. It also depends on the area of plants that you want to irrigate.

There is no really easy answer. If the plants look OK, you have probably got it right. You could buy a moisture meter that you can use to see if any individual area is getting enough water. About €10 in Aki.

We use one a lot to check our pot plants which we water manually, but the rest of the garden just gets up to 40 minutes a day but that could well be 3 tonnes of water!

Sid

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:16 pm

I would like to water the garden more but I limit it to 500 ltrs per day. The irrigation system comes on for 10 minutes, twice a day. The plants tend to get used to it.
We live in a country that is generally short of water and I try to be a responsible user of this resource.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:26 pm

We have no shortage of water and it is very cheap.

When they eventually get round to connecting a supply from the huge Rules dam they built 4 years ago ( one of the largest in Europe) it will be even more plentiful and a third of the price we pay at the moment - like about 10c a cubic metre.

Typically, they spent millions of EU money building it but "forgot" to put in the infrastructure to actually deliver the water to the users - it could only happen in Spain!

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:43 pm

I personally use 30mins, once every 24hours . At 6:30 am - when its coolest

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:08 pm

You are so lucky, Sid, have unlimited water. I get water on a Wednesday, but not always. You would not believe the feeling I have when I know my deposits are full and I don't have to worry about water for another week.

In saying that I have just upped the irrigation to 30 minutes as a few plants are looking a bit dry. I devide it into 15 minutes at 10 pm and another 15 minutes at 6 am to try to minimise runoff.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:04 pm

My beds only get 5 minutes once a day at this time of year, and they include Dahlias which need quite a bit. They all look fine. The water is pumped in so the pressure is higher than the usual mains, but not that much
AlisonB

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:47 pm

Thanks folks. I think I'll go for 30 mins at 6.30 and see how it goes.