Gardening in general

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
asturunidense
Tourist

Gardening in general

Postby asturunidense » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:08 pm

New here, not to Spain. Used to live in Asturias, so also new to Andalucia agriculture. Have worked in the field before, and as a landscaper, so do know how to grow plants.

I plan to live in Cadiz, so what vegetables and other plants will not grow well in the region? What I'm doing is compiling a list of what I can grow, and live off the land as much as I can.

Martin Page, any and all info you post will be most useful. I'll be looking forward to reading from your experiences.

I plan to farm for the two of us, have a flower garden, and limit my purchases from the local markets.

Thanks

Lewis

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Gardening in general

Postby Mariacristina » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:29 pm

I am surprised that no-one has replied to this question.

It is rather difficult to offer any worthwhile suggestions without knowing where in Cadiz you plan to live. Are you referring to Cadiz city or to the province? What you can grow in the mountains will be very different to the crops that will succeed nearer the coast. It will also depend on the aspect of the plot you intend to cultivate. How much sun; wind direction; soil.

The most useful resource is always the neighbours. What do they grow successfully? Gardeners are usually very generous about sharing information.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:38 pm

You could try prickly pears ... they seem to grow everywhere! and if you like that sort of thing, you can eat them ... self sufficiency and all that!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 pm

On a more serious note: the thing I have learned from this garden is that it is not all the same ... one area in particular is very hot, is sheltered by high banks around ... also in other places plants which look great in winter and spring, now look as if they are defeated by the heat ... and my vegetable terrace, altho it is the only area with any sort of decent soil, is however another suntrap ... watering and/or an irrigation system is a major issue here! ... and then there is the wind factor ... which can strip plants of leaves and/or give them wind-burn. IMHO it takes a long time to know what to plant and where!