Tree ID

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Trooperman
Resident

Tree ID

Postby Trooperman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:35 am

My morning walk with dog takes me past many varieties of tree down by the Guadiaro river. Most are recognisable - Oaks, Ashes, Walnuts, Poplar, Eucalyptus etc etc. But here's one that has me baffled:

The leaf stem in the second picture is about 40 - 50 mm long with 8 slightly offset pairs of leaves showing slight serrations.

I've no wish to pre-empt any learned suggestions :eh: but I'm leaning towards the genus "Sorbus"...but there are many of them (particularly in China!). It could well be an "escape" from a garden....but there ain't many ornamental gardens around here......well....any offers?
nil illegitimum carborundum

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tree ID

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:21 pm

It's a 'Tree of Life' or 'Tree of Heaven' - arbol del cielo http://treepicturesonline.com/tree_of_h ... tures.html

They grow everywhere, and are very invasive - we have one in our garden in UK, and we're forever pulling up little trees which have grown either from seed or by sucker/creepers :roll:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Well! Many thanks for that. I guess it "escaped" from somewhere and its natural invasive characteristics have allowed it to form quite a significant colony down by the river.
nil illegitimum carborundum

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:23 pm

I would add that they are very common around here (Alta Axarquia( ... good for holding/anchoring steep dry banks but they emit an unpleasant odour when branches are cut!