Dama de noche

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
roselie

Dama de noche

Postby roselie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:37 pm

I have a dama de noche tree and it has sticky white stuff on the branches and bottom of leaves. like little cocoons. Anybody know what this is and how to get rid of it? There are only a view ants around and I keep washing it off but I cant keep up.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dama de noche

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:42 pm

They are wooly aphids or cochinella.

Spray with a general purpose insecticide.

Sid

roselie

Postby roselie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:31 am

Thank you Sid. I have checked the pictures on woolly aphids and it looks a lot like it but I don't see any bugs coming out and it is not woolly but sticky and very white not grey so I am not sure, and I would rather use something natural if it is possible.

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:51 am

I had the same but on my bourganvilla, someone told me to use a solution of garlic crushed and infused in water. I sprayed this on(bit of a smell)abd it worked.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 am

Have this on several plants and was advised to use Neem oil, not cheap and not working.

Mhic.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:30 am

A good general purpose insecticide is to spray with water to which has been added a little washing up liquid and a very small amount of olive oil (used and strained through kitchen paper is fine) which has been heavily infused with garlic. Works well for most bugs including scale insects. I keep a jam jar half full of garlic cloves (the less than perfect ones that I find when I am cooking) and keep it topped up with oil. It is ecologically friendly - except for the bugs - costs almost nothing and it does work. You can use it on edible plants to as long as you wait a few days before eating!

No credit to me for this. The idea was here on A.Com some years ago. I've been using this ever since. I can't remember who originally posted but I am very grateful to whoever it was.

roselie

Postby roselie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Thank you for the garlic tip. I will try that.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:05 am

The garlic seems to be working on several plants in my garden, the Neem oil has done no good at all as far as I can see perhaps it works better on other pests.

Mhic.

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:13 am

The garlic tip was given to me as a cure for the geranium moth, works a treat.

roselie

Postby roselie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:17 am

The garlic seems to be working great. My dame de noche is in bloom now but I cant smell much ells then garlic of course but better that then that sticky white stuff. thank you!