sowing new lawn?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gina59
Resident

sowing new lawn?

Postby gina59 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:37 am

Can anyone tell me when is the best time to sow a new lawn, also I have read about a seed call zoysia which needs very little watering, does anyone know where I can buy it? thanks.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Martin Page
Resident

Re: sowing new lawn?

Postby Martin Page » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:52 am

You can sow a new lawn now, if you can prepare the bed for it, and have effective irrigation twice daily.
The correct time for sowing a lawn is after the second rain of the autumn. The first rain softens the ground to enable the preparation of the bed. The second rain will highlight any puddles or low points so you can repair then prior to actual seeding.

You will need irrigation, if you want a lawn during the summer

gina59
Resident

Re: sowing new lawn?

Postby gina59 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:48 am

Thanks very much wasnt quite sure whether to sow in spring or autumn, I live inland so very hot in summer any recommendations for which seed to use, I will be putting in a new irrigation sprinkler system at the same time. We have got a lawn or sorts more weeds then grass but we have managed to keep it more or less green (a few brown patches). Just though I would redo it.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.