Buddleia

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Buddleia

Postby Mariacristina » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:40 pm

I have never seen Buddleia on sale in a garden centre anywhere in Spain. Buddleia davidii (the Butterfly Bush) seems to survive in poor soil and dry and sunny situations in the UK. Does anyone have experience of growing it here in Spain? My garden. in the mountains south of Cordoba, is most certainly dry and sunny with poor soil!

anis
Resident

Re: Buddleia

Postby anis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:55 am

I bought one this year from our local garden shop, back in May. I should have known better when I found the plant growing in one of the out buildings. The pot was sitting on a water tray. Most of her good, tough plants are normally outside, but I desperately wanted this and it was the first buddleia I had seen for sale in many years.
In summer, despite watering, it began to shrivel up and go brown. Adding a water tray below helped and it recovered a little. I had repotted the plant with some very good mulch. It seemed incapable of surviving in the scorching summer heat so I moved it to a shady tree and am happy to say it is still alive though very spindly and fragile, but has some flowers back.
I paid 14 euros for the plant.
It doesn't seem to like the strong spanish sun. If you do find one, be careful when placing it. Fortunately, I had left my plant in a large pot so I could move it around and optimise to find it's favourite position.

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:11 pm

hi just come back from a garden centre, 5mins away from icelands, they have 1 metre high buddleias for 9Euros 60. The name of the garden centre is La Vega , and the address is Viejo de Coin 1.5 km . Hope this helps.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:08 pm

i know that garden centre,their plants are kept in realy good condition.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Thank you very much for the information. Very much appreciated. We get extreme temperatures where I live so perhaps it would not be the right plant to add to my garden.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:37 pm

I planted three buddleias when I first came here and they were in a very hot and dry area (not quite so extreme as your place but certainly over 45 in high summer sun) with poor soil (more like grit than earth!) ... they grew so rampant I eventually cut them down ... so maybe they would grow in your garden?

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:46 pm

There are "wild" buddleias in our valley - the Guadiaro river and about 600 meters altitude - which are in an open position and thrive........but they are close to an irrigation channel (an acequia I believe they're called) and thus may need, and in this case, get some water.
nil illegitimum carborundum