Trees flowering early

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Trees flowering early

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Has anyone else noticed some odd behaviour with their trees?

Some of our citrus trees have just started flowering which is not totally unknown at this time of year but other trees are doing the same. We have a curry leaf plant which should be starting to shed it's leaves but it's started flowering.

Now, to my total amazement, our Washingtonia Palms are throwing out 3 metre long flower pods! This only ever happens in about May/June!

It could all be due to the weather cooling down at the end of September followed by lots of rain and a week or so later the temperatures recovering to over 30c.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Trees flowering early

Postby Lyric » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Our mighty collection of weeds and the occasional plants are all reacting as if it is spring.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Well here in Ireland my lemon tree (indoor) has gone into overdrive and has flowers all over it :crazy: .

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:09 am

I always noticed a second spring in Spain after the searing heat had gone. Our Fuschias used to die off in July even though they were watered and kept in a shady place. They would shoot again in Sept.

A lot of people around Sussex have Yuccas :roll: and the white flowers are huge right now.

We are still getting local strawberries here, they tatse better than any I have had.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:36 am

Katy is right ... there are two distinct growing seasons in Spain. Starting September and March. the former ending with the frosts in January and the latter ending with the heat in June

Citrus trees always flower twice a year Or should ... unless its what they call a triplet .. which flowers three times a year

Apple trees have just started to flower again ... its a good idea to pinch out the buds to stop them ...

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:53 am

I noticed the same with some of our citrus trees this week.
They have never blossomed at this time of year before - most odd.