Would it grow?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
luckyjim
Resident

Would it grow?

Postby luckyjim » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Can anyone tell me if wisteria would grow here in a tub?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Would it grow?

Postby katy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:30 pm

It should do depending on the position. We have it growing here in the UK in quite a large pot ablthough it does not grow as well as another in the ground.

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks, we had it growing all over the front of our house in England, but wondered if a pot would be a bit restrictive for the roots. However, will give t a go.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Wisteria need a cold winter and a mild summer and can tolerate having there roots waterlogged and want a pH 6.5- 7.5

All three of which your going to be hard pressed to offer in Spain unless your up in the mountains and then the pH will be too high .

It usually take upto 5 years before a wisteria will flower - so your pretty much on a hiding to nothing. I've not seen any growing round here and that usually a good indicator that you arnt going have much success ...

Have a good look round at your municipal parks ... that will tell you what you can expect to grow. Fighting Nature is a waste of time money and effort

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 pm

We've got one growing up a wall, although in the ground in a small bed, not in a pot. It's gone mad, to the extent that when we went away earlier in the year, it wrapped itself round the entry gate and we had to borrow a knife to get in! I bought the plant from Guzmans and made sure it had flowers/seed pods on, so I knew it had flowered before. I've grown plants from seed from this plant as well, and they have all flowered. Down at the El Ingenio shopping centre they have a huge plant growing over a pergola, and they just hack it back every so often - none of the elaborate pruning needed in UK. So go for it
AlisonB

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:57 pm

There is a really mature one covering an Arbour/walkway about 10 metros at Santa Maria Golf Elviria. From afar it looks like bunches of grapes hanging down. Not in a pot though.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:57 pm

We have one growing very successfully on a west facing wall. It needs a hard prune every two years but is rooted in the soil.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:39 am

There's a huge one covering an arbour at the Jardin Botanica in Malaga, so they do seem to grow here. Not sure how one would fare in a pot though.