Ground cover inspiration please!

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Ground cover inspiration please!

Postby Sampson » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but joined as I've read the postings under the Gardening section off and on for a few years and was hoping for some good advice on a problem I have.

My place is adjacent to an area that was supposed to be a golf course, but that will probably never happen. But instead the area has a large amount of bricks and builders rubble and lots of plastic from a series of polytunnels that was simply bulldozed into the soil during the building phase of the development.

I had hoped that nature would do her stuff to improve the view, but after 10 years I'm wondering if some help is needed. There are problems in doing so - firstly the land does not belong to me and so I am obliged to be a bit circumspect - I cannot for example hire a JCB. It is a large area of many acres so planting out masses of oleander cuttings etc is not viable. But the area is a bit of an eyesore and something is needed.

The land has a small amount soil but largely compacted sand and as I say discarded building materials, plastic, some timber and metal strewn around, but all single items - ie not to any height. There are no trees or bushes of any size - it's more like a desert than anything else. But is used by local goat herds that wander around the area who seem to find something to chew. I should add that providing any form of irrigation is effectively impossible.

I've pondered and thought I may try some messum cuttings, but it is a large area, so these will be limited. And I really wanted something that would grow a bit taller, say a foot or so to cover the debris. In the surrounding area, where the contractors have not used heavy equipment some plants (weeds) grow naturally - there are a few different types, they are "heather size and shape", but I cannot identify them, but they are so much nicer than the scrap yard! I was wondering if anyone knew them or there is a similar plant that might flourish in this environment that can be bought in seed form.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ground cover inspiration please!

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:28 pm

If nothing has self-seeded and grown there much in 10 years you may be hard pushed to find something that will. It may unfortunately just be too dry/sandy/full of rubbish for anything to take.

Areas around us that were cut and left some years ago are covered in what we call wildfowers but are daisy-like weeds in the spring, and are currently covered in a carpet of a weed with a leaf a bit like a clover and yellow flowers to come. We also have a large bushy tree-like plant that grows a lot around here (not sure what it is called but has long leaves like a broom and yellow flowers in spring), but as they are weeds I doubt that you can find a seed for them. Bamboo certainly grows well and spreads if you can find some to transplant there. Argave grows like a weed, we cannot stop it spreading, and also the dreaded spiny chumbos (pricly pears) will usually grow if you throw leaves off it into the area.

Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Ground cover inspiration please!

Postby Sampson » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Wicksey. I've seen the yellow bush/tree you mention - if I remember it has seed pods like a laburnum in the Spring so I'll see if I can grab some of these and plant them around a bit. If it works they may create some shade and encourage other plants - anything is better than at present!

Thanks again.