Rhubarb

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Pondy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Rhubarb

Postby Pondy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:49 am

Some time ago I posted an intention to bring some rhubarb crowns from England and see how they fared in the Alcala region. Lasy November I did just that and planted the crowns close to a garden wall in partial shade from an olive tree, the results are good, all three are sprouting, now about 150cm tall. Posting this because I was asked about results.

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Rhubarb

Postby Buffy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:49 am

Interesting.Well done. I'm jealous!

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:57 am

And me ... well done ... report back again next year will you ?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:43 am

Good luck. We had two years of Rhubarb from a crown from England. Initially it did well but last summer perished. I don't know whether it was the heat or watering regime. We had some decent crumbles from it but we won't be repeating the experiment!

Pondy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pondy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Olive, we thought the heat may be a problem hence planting in partial shade, will post on rhubarbs progress

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Or just send crumble :D

Pondy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pondy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 am

Nice one.

stevezeigfinger

Postby stevezeigfinger » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi: Partial shade and drip irrigation seem to work fine. The problem I have found is that starting the rhubarb from seed is quite a challenge. The seeds sprout fine but wither and die quite quickly. I managed to save two plants this year and planted them in partial shade and they are doing well. I would kill for some crowns or trading would also work for me. Steve

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 am

Just been reading and seemingly it's illegal to grow rhubarb in spain as its toxic if goats eat it. Maybe worth checking out.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Just did a quick search and rhubarb leaves are poisonous to goats.
It also seems that avacodos are also poisonous to goats and there are plenty of them, certainly where I live, growing in Spain and several goat herds.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pondy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Rhubarb roundup

Postby Pondy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:46 pm

The three crowns we planted last year have survived, two particularly strong the other slightly runt of the litter, giving several good sized sticks although we did not pick any. The plants were kept in partial shade and watered though not religiously. We have now covered the plants in manure and will see what next year brings. Anyone for crumble?

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Hot crumble and cold custard please.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:20 am

What about other plants that grow in the uk that may survive in southern Spain.
Ie I've recently made rose hip syrup and elderflower syrup. I've also got 6kg of elderberrys in the
Freezer to make a few batches of wine. If I take a few cuttings and root them in water and
Bring them on would they grow in CDs. Thanks. Just google elderberry syrup and you will
Be surprised how good it is for you. :D :D :D :D

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:24 pm

Over here in Huelva there are plenty of wild roses in the campos and in a good year, plenty of rose hips for you. :thumbup: This year has been exceptionally hot and dry during the summer and the hips are rarer and smaller. As to Elderflower - there seems to be a remarkable lack of elderflower trees - if they won't grow naturally, I think you may have a problem bringing cuttings, rootlings, over. I would think it will be too hot and dry for these trees ? :think:

From an ecological point of view, as Elderflower trees can get pretty invasive and have quite a few bugs that like them, it might not be a good thing to let them get naturalised, when they are not native ...

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:53 am

Thanks gasman. I'll probably just pick in the uk and dry the elderberrys as a kilo of dry berries will
Make quite a bit of elderberry syrup. As for the rose hips. The only place I've seen them was on the way up to mount maroma a few years ago around 3/4 the way up.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Caring on with these ideas, with an abundance of pomegranates around, you could make delicious pomegranate mollases, great in Persian food or just pomegranate juice.

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:35 pm

Pomegranate molasses. Very good for you! yum