Dwarf shrubs which are good for drainage

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
bkeo1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dwarf shrubs which are good for drainage

Postby bkeo1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi There,

Hope someone with green fingers out there can help me. I've installed air con in my apartment and the company agreed that the condensation drainage would be ok flowing into the flower box on the terrace. This is approx 12/14ft long and 18" wide (about 2 feet deep) so it's quite substantial.
However, last year in the heat of August the condensation flowing form the system (3 inner units to 1 outer unit) into the flower box caused the flower box to become saturated and started to drip onto the terrace underneath :thumbdown: . The tube/pipe from the air con only goes to the first corner of the flower box and the water gathers here and causes the problem. Guess what it's almost impossible to get the smart a$$ air con company back to resolve the issue as they say they will have to dig up my tiles on the terrace to get to the terrace drain... :sick:
It has been suggested to me that I should attach a porous/leaky hose to the condensation outlet and wind it through the flower box. The idea here is that is will disperse the water evenly across the window box. The second part of the suggesting was that I plant shrubs (or plants) which will use up most of the water (plants that like lots of water) which will help with the drainage.

1. Do you think this will work? :?:
2. If so, any ideas on the best plants to use?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dwarf shrubs which are good for drainage

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:18 am

bkeo1 wrote:Hi There,

It has been suggested to me that I should attach a porous/leaky hose to the condensation outlet and wind it through the flower box. The idea here is that is will disperse the water evenly across the window box.
Sounds like a good idea to me. That is the solution I would use.
Cheap and easy to try.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris