Aloe Vera Flowers

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Unicorn
Resident

Aloe Vera Flowers

Postby Unicorn » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:28 pm

Hello green-fingered ones.

I have 2 aloe veras on my terrace which are flowering. The are in separate planters about 3 metres apart.

Is there anything I can do to make little aloe veras from these?

Cheers :thumbup:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Aloe Vera Flowers

Postby country boy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 pm

It's a whole lot quicker to just take some plantlets from around the base of the parent....how many do you want!! :lol: We'got thousands.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:49 pm

There two individual plants so have no plants around them!

One of the plants was given to me by the aloe vera farm in Estepona as it was lying on the ground when I visited about 4 years ago. The plant equivanlent of getting a mutt from a rescue centre. It is now a fine figure of a plant, but, sadly, on its own. :wave:

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Aww...how sweet! Treat it kindly, put it in a bigger pot and it will soon begin to sucker up for you. Do you use the juice for curing "places"? Really is very good but smells Horriblis!

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:31 pm

Hello Unicorn,
Aloe Vera only produces seeds when two different varieties bloom at the same time in close proximity and cross pollinate. Best way to get more plants is to pull off the 'pups' (I always call them babies) that grow out of the sides of an existing plant and re-pot them. If your plant is in a pot, it may take longer to produce 'pups'. But it will. Maybe you could put one in the ground and it will reproduce quicker?

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm

I found a yellow and green type a few years ago and it was the size of say a bucket. Now the thing is the size of a small car. We also have the green ones and they produce loads of what I call babies every year. I often cut a leaf of and split it and use as a hand and face cream. It's called the miracle plant as it has so many uses. Just google it. You can even eat it. I've never went that far though.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:48 pm

If you keep a leaf or two in the freezer, they're really soothing for minor burns, but even direct from the plant (slit open along the length) the gel helps with any pain and seems to speed up healing :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)