reservoir for stream

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gina59
Resident

reservoir for stream

Postby gina59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:31 am

Can anyone help me to work out how big a reservoir I would need for a stream 7 metres long by 60 centimetre wide please. :?
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: reservoir for stream

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:56 am

More information is needed.
How big a reservoir needs to be depends on factors such as:-
How much water you want to store in the reservoir.
What is the rate of flow into the reservoir?
What is the rate of flow out of the reservoir?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks Gerry, now even more confused! At the moment I have only cleared the area for the stream, I havn't bought a pump yet, and again the power of the pump I will need is another consideration. It sounded a easy idea in the beginning, liner, gravel and a few stones and the sound of running water.Dont really know how to answer your questions, I dont want any depth to the stream, just want the water to trickle along, I think if I remember rightly from previous ponds I had, that you can adjust the flow on the pump to suit.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:10 am

Sorry Gerry, I meant to add the reservoir needs to have enough water in it to keep the pump submerged.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:15 am

As I said more details are needed.
I am now guessing that this is going to be an ornamental feature where you want to create a stream of water?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:05 am

Yes. Just don't know how to answer your questions, I get the ideas ok, just don't have the knowledge to carry them out, bummer isn't it. :lol: I will probally end up diggin a big hole lining it with something, not sure with what yet, buy a pump, play around and hope for the best.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:29 am

OK. So you want a gentle flowing stream of water and you want to pump the water back up from the bottom of the stream to the top of the stream?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:47 am

Exactly. I have a large stone ball which I have from a previous water feature, this will be balanced on a couple of bricks in a small indentation just deep enough to fill up and allow the water to run evenly down the stream to the bottom reservoir and pump. The stream will have a VERY slight slope down to the reservoir.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:58 am

I have had a similar idea for an area here but what has so far defeated me is how too landscape/disguise or camouflage the necessary pump equipment as all around are boulders and no discreet place to hide said machinery ... also feel a bit guilty for using precious water for decorative purposes ...

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:39 am

Now that you have explained exactly what you are trying to achieve it makes answering easier. :thumbup:
You only need a small reservoir at the bottom big enough to hold the submersible water pump. A plastic box, with a lid would be ideal. This could be buried/ covered so it isn't visible.
The rate of water flow can then be controlled by adjusting the pump. You will need a pump which can supply the necessary head of water.
If your boulder is, say,3 ft in diameter and the pump is, say, 1 ft below it then you need a pump that will supply at least a 4 ft head of water. The pump will have the figure displayed on it.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:57 am

You could try digging a hole and inserting a standard size or half size black plastic dustbin. A mains powered submersible pump (designed to be permanently under water) costs about 40 euros from your local fereteria. The output pipe is about an inch in diameter. Takes about 90 to 120 seconds2 minutes to empty a standard sized dustbin so not much of a flow rate.

You will also need to top it up in the summmer to counter evaporation. Winter rain can be led away from an outlet situated high up the dustbin.

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Thank you for your replies I can now go a buy a plastic box (or small dustbin Olive). Just one question when I turn the pump off will there be enough space in the box for water in the stream to drain into? ps I am so glad I havn't got to dig a hole 1 cubic metre deep on what I was working out.:D

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:15 pm

How deep do you want the stream to be?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:17 pm

no more than about 2 inches.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:27 pm

That means a total volume of water of about 200 litres if the stream was going to totally empty without the pump on. If there was a small dam at the end of the stream then some of the water would remain in the stream with the pump off and appear to flow with the pump on.
So wouldn't need such a large reservoir.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:33 pm

Great idea thanks again Gerry. Will let you know how I get on :thumbup: .