Black fly on Mandarin tree

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Black fly on Mandarin tree

Postby gavilan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:39 am

I have a small mandarin tree and this year, on the back of the new leaf growth. there is an infestation of what looks like miniature black fly. I am thinking to spray with washing up liquid but I cannot remember the proportion of liquid to water. Can anyone tell me ... or suggest an alternative treatment?

Gasman
Resident

Re: Black fly on Mandarin tree

Postby Gasman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:05 pm

A cup of olive oil, a couple of good squirts of washing up liquid, a cup of water - churn in the mixer or liquidiser, and then dilute x 40.
If you don't have many plants to do cut it all down by half and dilute x20 - it really doesn't matter if you leave the mixture a bit thicker than usual as none of it is harmful to the plants. You can use it on any plants too, so not just the mandarin, but any citrus, olive, roses, geraniums - anything prone to bugs. :thumbup:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:18 pm

That was very helpful information Gasman ... many thanks ... and when it stops raining I will mix and spray ... how often should I spray said infection?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:01 pm

I know that washing up liquid is a good eco friendly solution, but it is a very temporary solution as after a day or so the little devils will reappear and are often put back in place by ants who "farm" them for their sweet secretions. If you ever see an ant on your citrus tree you can almost guarantee that there will soon be some black fly on it. We even get them doing this on our Ivy.

I prefer to use a systemic insecticide which can remain effective for up to two months and prevents further infestation. Basically, they make the whole of the plant/tree poisonous to aphids. You can even water it in rather than spraying.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:21 am

Further to Sid's Farming post, if you see ants on the tree a sprinkling of insecticida ZZ around the trunk will stop them going up to the Aphids.

This is what you will be looking for...................

http://www.comprarperfumes.com/zz_insec ... ado_250_gr

Can be obtained in Drogueria.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.