Flower ID please

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Flower ID please

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:10 pm

Anybody know what this is?

It appeared once before a few years ago for the first time and has just popped up again this year. It hasn't got any leaves but just a hairy stem with these flowers on.

(Sorry can't get the picture to come out any bigger)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Flower ID please

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:07 pm

If you click on the picture it opens up in another Tab and is LARGE.............. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:26 pm

I think it might be an agastache. They can grow tall, several feet. Try googling images and see what you think
AlisonB

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:50 am

No it's not that as mine doesn't have any leaves. At first it almost looks like a mushroom appearing form the soil as is it just a furry spike, then it grows up about a foot tall and the pink flowers open up from the lower part. The stem is almost succulent and very hairy.

I don't know if it's a bulb or not as we cleared out most of that flower bed when we moved in and it just appeared from nowhere.

KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KatrinaD » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Looks like broomrape/orobanche.

From Google: Orobanche is a genus of wholly parasitic plants, attached to the roots of their hosts. They lack chlorophyll and hence any green colouration, and their leaves are vestigial. Above-ground stems are produced only for the purpose of flowering and setting seed; in perennial species the plant may persist below ground, unseen for a number of years.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:54 pm

It is, I believe, Orobanche Crenata or, in common names, a member of the Broomrape family and they are parasitic plants lacking in chlorophyll. It usually appears where you've had broad beans or pea (family) plants growing.

ps just seen post by KatrinaD who has beat me to it!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Well done you two :thumbup: ..... I would never have found it. I see it is an invasive weed, particularly in America where it is listed as a noxious weed and an "Invasive Species Most Unwanted". I should destroy it before it seeds everywhere then.

There hasn't been any beans in that flowerbed as far as I'm aware and our neighbours tend to grow tomatoes, although one did grow runner beans in his greenhouse last year.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Thu May 07, 2015 5:34 pm

I think they've just found a medical use for them.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Wed May 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Yes like KatriaD says it's a parasitic plant, we've had one or two of them come up in our mange tout beds each year we've grown it. We just pull them up, no harm has been done to our crop of about 50 or so plants.

terry