Prangipani Bush/Tree aka Plumeria

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Prangipani Bush/Tree aka Plumeria

Postby Sampson » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:05 am

Hi, does anyone know a good stockist of these plants in Spain please?

I have "googled" it but the one Garden Centre I found in Spain (in Murcia) has closed down.

They are a fabulous plant - http://www.spain-info.co.uk/gardening/Plumeria-Tree.htm

Thanks

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Prangipani Bush/Tree aka Plumeria

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Sorry, can't help with a stockist, just to say it's much more of a tree than a bush - when I lived in the Philippines we had one in our garden and as you say, fabulous scent & beautiful flowers. BTW it's Frangipani - we called them Kalachuchi in the Phils :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sampson » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:50 am

Hi Chrissie,

Thanks for yours - they're obviously a plant that has an impact and stays in the memory. The reason I'm now looking to grow them is like you my wife spent her early years in the Far East - born in Kuala Lumpur. She has fond memories of climbing and inhabiting giant Magnolia trees, but it's the look and scent of the Frangipani that were really special.

Quite annoyingly a neighbour here has one that growing well in his front garden, but it came with the house when he bought it, so no idea where it came from.

I can probably buy some in the UK, but I'm not sure EasyJet would be too happy if I stuffed them in my cabin bag. Presumably it's the same situation if you drive. But heyho I'll keep on looking.

Cheers

gina59
Resident

Postby gina59 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:13 am

They sell them on planfor.es 25 euros not sure of size though.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sampson » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi Gina,

Many thanks indeed for the info - I found Frangipani type they sell easily enough and I will be making a purchase or two - the plants are between 30 & 40 cms, which is ideal. Brilliant.

Chrissie, I've belated realised the typo I made in the heading and now understand your comment...not sure if it was too early in the morning, or an extended senior moment...

Thanks again both of you.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 pm

Plumeria cuttings take very easily, I take them at any time of year when a branch breaks or gets in the way. They do become quite large shrubs/trees. Perhaps your neighbour might donate a few cuttings to foster good relations?
Gerry

Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sampson » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:28 am

That's a good thought. I guess I've become lazy and picking stuff up from the garden centre is the easy option. I've not done any cuttings in Spain, but will give it a try!

Cheers

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:34 am

If you are anywhere near Pizarra I can give you some cuttings...rooted or otherwise, they grow like weeds for me...very dramatic though!

Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sampson » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Wow, what lovely weeds to have - beats mine!

That's very kind of you. We're some distance away from you, but we're booked to be in Marbella at the end of July, when we'll be passing quite close, so I might take you up on that. Thank you.