Honeysuckle V Jasmine

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Honeysuckle V Jasmine

Postby Spartacus » Thu May 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Reading past posts I have narrowed my choice for a fence cover down to Honeysuckle or Jasmine. Does anyone know which would be more wind resistant. The fence is south facing and whilst I am relatively low down 200m, the fence is at the uphill back of my garden so will get what breezes / winds we do get. Thanks in advance.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Honeysuckle V Jasmine

Postby El Cid » Thu May 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Honeysuckle wins by a mile. We have two sorts of jasmine. A tough yellow flowering one which loses all its leaves in the winter winds (so does the bougainvillea). We have a sweet smelling one with small white flowers that flowers in March and that is very delicate and goes brown underneath in winter. The honeysuckle grows fast and never loses a leaf . That's the one that we grow on a netting fence as a windbreak and so far it has weathered 100km/hr winds.

Sid

Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Honeysuckle V Jasmine

Postby Sampson » Sat May 23, 2015 8:36 am

You may want to peer over a few fences of your neighbours, lots of plants seem to react well or sometimes badly tolocal conditions. But of course there lots of varieties of Jasmine and Honeysuckle so make sure you buy the right one. A small clipping from the one you like may be useful.