diseased prickly pear

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

diseased prickly pear

Postby gavilan » Wed May 27, 2015 6:28 pm

There is a long line of prickly pear up on the bank behind this place ... it has been there for years ... but this year it all has a very bad attack of that white disease (cochineal insect?) and is looking decidedly sorry for itself ... ?is there any hope it will recover eventually or should I get it all cut down and taken away?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: diseased prickly pear

Postby country boy » Wed May 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Spray with washing up liquid, diluted of course,works a treat.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed May 27, 2015 7:38 pm

country boy ... thanks for your advice ... but it's a very long, dense and high bank of prickly pears ... or it was high til it all started to collapse from the effects of the disease ... and I think I would need gallons of washing up liquid and am not sure I could spray all of it as it has a sort of convoluted dense shape ... ???

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 am

You cant kill Chumber ... the disease will cut it back for a few years but the bugga will come back , usually stronger after that

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu May 28, 2015 11:20 am

MP ...?are you saying that I should leave it alone and it will recover of its own accord?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Maybe it is part of nature dealing with this menace - it is more difficult to get rid of than a Jehova's Witness or a trolley-beggar in a Lidl carpark!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat May 30, 2015 4:54 pm

One thing I will say is that we had a bank of Chumbas and I really didn't like them so we sent the JCB in and removed the lot. I'm really glad we did, is that an option for you?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat May 30, 2015 4:59 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Maybe it is part of nature dealing with this menace - it is more difficult to get rid of than a Jehova's Witness or a trolley-beggar in a Lidl carpark!
I've always told those fit and healthy looking beggars to "Get a Job"....last week one pretty young thing retorted "This is a job"...
I gave her a Euro on the way out for her cheek and use of English! I applaud effort! :silent:

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun May 31, 2015 11:47 am

Yes .. Gavilan - it will come back of its own accord.
Now is a good time to rip out any really dense or unsightly areas only because you can get in with a long handled rake easily.
You need a long handled rake to avoid the Spikes

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun May 31, 2015 11:58 am

country boy ... JCB not an option in that situation as the bank is too narrow and steep ... but thanks for your comments ...
yes MP I know about those horrible spikes!!! but I will take up your suggestion of 'pruning' said cactus somewhat and then leave it alone and hope it overcomes the disease of its own accord ...

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:56 pm

update on badly diseased prickly pear for anyone who might be interested! ... that infestation of the cochineal insect has wreaked havoc since I wrote in May ... just horrible ... both to see the devastation and to experience that influx of white flies in the house ... but .. to my amazement ... there is fresh green growth appearing ... and this morning I went up there to try to rake out all the dead 'paddles' littering the ground in and around the plants ... a huge job ... but thought I would have a go and maybe burn the debris ... but after half an hour I began to get a very itchy rash on my hands and arms and had to retreat to a safe distance ... no idea if the cause was the chumbos or the cochineal but most unpleasant ... not sure what my next move will be ... ?hire a beekeepers protective outfit?!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:42 pm

Gloves (gauntlets ?) and a rake with a very long handle ... :wink: ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:16 am

peteroldracer wrote:Maybe it is part of nature dealing with this menace - it is more difficult to get rid of than a Jehova's Witness or a trolley-beggar in a Lidl carpark!

Has anyone ever tried diluted washing up liquid on JWs ? :twisted:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:54 am

I was hoping it may kill them off as they're a horrible weed on our land. They have gone black and mouldy but there's still masses of the cochineal fly about. We put a new pool cover on the other day and it is covered in white flecks. I hope this was a one-off invasion as the white flies (and all the pink streaks they've left have behind) have been a real nuisance.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 pm

Wicksey: that disease has killed 90% of the prickly pears here but there is/are lots of new growth appearing ... and I suddenlly realised that, as much rain is forecast for tonight/tomorrow, I had better have another attempt at clearing all the dead stuff away ... cos I cant do that in the rain ... and rain means even more growth ... and more growth means more nasty spikes to impede work!
and thanks chrissiehope: the gloves and a light long sleeved sweater kept me safe this morning ...

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:15 pm

:thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)