Artificial Grass

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Jenny1960
Andalucia.com Amigo

Artificial Grass

Postby Jenny1960 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:42 pm

Has anyone had it installed and if so, what do you think of it? We are debating whether or not to have it instead of real grass as we don't live here all year round.....

TIA

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Artificial Grass

Postby Trooperman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:38 pm

Jenny - Hi!...for my sins I used to be a garden designer (in Herts where you reside)and I'm curious as to why you want grass.

There are many inputs into designing a garden, one of which is what the client wants (you want grass) and another being the environment - both climatically as well as culturally (grass is unusual here)

I have seen artificial grass here laid recently - Leroy Merlin had a promotion a couple of years back - and it looks - well- artificial and out of place in my opinion.

I have seen the real stuff - a very coarse, large leaf variety to cope with the climate - and it looks odd to an englishman!

Curiosity says to me "Why do you want grass?"
nil illegitimum carborundum

Jenny1960
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jenny1960 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi Trooperman, do you mean why do I want artificial grass or why do I want real grass?

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:57 pm

It was more to do with why did you want grass at all!

...and I ask because, as I've tried to explain, it's not a natural material in Spain for landscaping and there are those who argue, for example, that golf courses look very artificial out here!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Jenny1960
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jenny1960 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:04 pm

Let's just agree to disagree

AnninAlhaurin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AnninAlhaurin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:06 am

Hi Jenny,
I have artificial grass and as far as I'm concerned it's the best thing since sliced bread. We only have a small area but it would never grow grass properly as there was no depth of soil in this area, it was dusty and always looked a mess.
Now it looks permanently lush. We have two big dogs and clearing up after them is much EASIER than it used to be.
BUT, and this is important. Do not go cheap. It wont' be worth it. The ground has to be properly prepared and 'grass' laid in the right direction, pinned properly,all sorts of things. But boy is it worth it.
Let me know if you want more info.
Ann.

Jenny1960
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jenny1960 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Thank you Anne for your reply, I'm glad your so happy with your artificial grass. Unfortunately, as much as we wanted to go for it we decided that the area was too large to cover so in the end, we decided on real grass which, if all goes to plan, will be finished this Thursday :D
Once again, thank you