Weed killer

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Weed killer

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:29 pm

We have horrible wild garlic growing in a tiny gap at the edge of the patio /pool and in another part of the patio , other than digging a hole in the concrete I just cannot get rid of the plant. The family who lived here before us loved it, I have gradually got rid of it from the garden, it is the stuff growing in a small gap I can't get rid of. Any suggestions on a chemical I can use? The pool area is now fenced off, so our dogs cannot get to where I want to spray. Another problem we have , again caused by previous owners , the horrible 'trees' that grow on waste land, kind of fern shaped leaves, which smell horrible when touched, grows very tall if allowed, is growing on the campo side of our fence, the roots go under our patio. We cut the branches back every year, before they get tall. We were told aqua fuerte would kill the roots, 2 bottles and it grew even better the next year! Any suggestions on how to kill that too?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Weed killer

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:18 pm

You need "Herbicida Total". This will kill anything in the ground, as opposed to normal Glyphosphate weedkillers (Roundup etc) which only kill by contact and are neutralised on contact with the soil.

In the UK you would probably use Pathclear. What works best is Sodium Chlorate but that can be difficult to find in the UK as it can be used in homemade explosives. It might be available in Spain.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:21 pm

Is Glyphosphate readily available Sid ? I know I have bought it in the past but have a niggle in my head that it is difficult now.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:31 pm

Officially it is restricted in Spain, but as usual, it doesn't seem to make any difference. You will probably find it at your local agricultural supplier or buy online.

http://fertitienda.com/herbicida

Sid

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Our Agricultural Merchants sell it but they do record your NIE. WE use Roundup or the cheaper alternative TouchDown. About €38 for 5 litres but you can get it in litres. Dose rate 20/25 ml to a 16 litre sprayer.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:54 pm

El Cid wrote: What works best is Sodium Chlorate but that can be difficult to find in the UK as it can be used in homemade explosives.
Sid
I know I'm going off topic but that brings back memories from my school days. Weedkiller and another ingredient made a cheap explosive.
Also made some Nitrocellulose from a old lab coat and a a couple of other ingredients. :oops:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Would herbicida total kill off the tree too? Failing that, maybe I could blow it up!! Just joking !

Thanks for the replies :wave:

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:58 pm

The tree sounds like Ailanthus altissima and is considered a "weed" and may even be notifiable in Spain - as I believe it is in certain US states. With glyphosate (I got it in Ronda by asking and it was produced from under the counter!) the plant has to be growing strongly for it to be effective, so with the wild garlic it would be best if you sprayed the leaves. With the Ailanthus, as with other trees, it should be able to be killed by cutting the trunk down to a convenient level and then painting the exposed stump/cut part with neat glyphosate. Be prepared to repeat the dose in both situations.
I believe Roundup is, or was, licensed by English Nature, to be used in aquatic situations (don't quote me on that - it was many years ago) so do not worry overmuch about contamination and animals.
nil illegitimum carborundum

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:19 pm

I have killed trees with Roundup by cutting down to the ground and drilling a hole (the biggest you can) and filling it with neat Roundup. Cover with some tinfoil.

Sid

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:20 pm

In fact, El Cid, the tree cutters will use their chainsaw to cut vertically down, just inside the bark and in a criss/cross pattern across the cut of a stump and then pour neat glyphosate into those slots.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Be careful how you use this stuff:

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/ ... ies-use-it

and Roundup has recently been banned in France:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/06 ... -herbicide
Let's go Brandon!

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Beachcomber,
The chemical companies are rather upset at the WHO for saying that glyphosate is "probably" carcinogenic.
They have asked them to produce their research reports and are still waiting.