Watering palms and yuccas

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Allan.L
Andalucia.com Amigo

Watering palms and yuccas

Postby Allan.L » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:49 pm

Our garden is now about 6 years old and most of the plants are on an alternate day watering system for 15 minutes. Do I need to continue with this for palms and yuccas? I assume conifers and fruit trees do? Should I be programming different for summer and winter? We are near the sea.
Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Watering palms and yuccas

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:26 pm

I use at least three times as much water in summer compared to winter. In fact, if the winter has a decent amount of rain, I turn it off.

Once established, with deep roots, most trees will survive the summer without water, but it will stunt their growth somewhat. If you have plenty of water, then give them some, it can only help their growth.

Even more important, make sure you give them plenty of fertiliser, either by surface dressing in the rainy season or by using soluble fertiliser in the irrigation water.

Sid

Flexo
Resident

Re: Watering palms and yuccas

Postby Flexo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:31 am

Native palms and yuccas does not generally need watering at all. If you have exotic palms such as Roystoneas then yes but date palms and such I wouldn't bother except a few minutes to keep the color. They often do need expensive fertilizers though. The important thing is to water them before dawn and not sooner or later. And never water the trunk.