What's your garden veg like?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
swerve
Resident

Re: What's your garden veg like?

Postby swerve » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Thanks mate. Will copy and save for future reference. :thumbup: :thumbup:
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Sorting through my books and I came across my old diaries- I looked at todays date 5 years ago- I caught a fruit rat in a trap! I had also picked 28kg of tomatoes that day. I think that was the year I bottled over 100 jars of tomatoes- lasted us all winter. :D

Our neighbour was saying his peppers are growing very slowly- and the peppers are small, they are supposed to be the long frying type, he has been growing veg all his life- he says it is the plants are not a good ´type´ he bought his from the same place as us, we normally buy the plants at a garden centre but this year we bought them from a garden shop in the town.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:53 pm

My Tomatoes .....

Plumb ... Very heavy cropping, more than I can harvest, some Blossom End rot on early ripeners, but other than that fine, Now Harvesting from the 7th Truss

Cherry .... Do you want some ? ... Big mistake planting 6 Plants this year , far too many to cope with for just two and neighbours

Problems ... NONE

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Martin do you grow your tomatoes in the ground /tubs or grow bags. Thanks.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Both tomatoes and peppers need to be grafted in order to get a professional yield. Green grafing is difficult and time consuming, requires skill, knowledge and sterile tools.

It means you seed two plants, one root stock and one fruit stock and combine them into one. You select one root stock that is suitable for your root conditions and one fruit stock that has the optimal fruit production for your preferences.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Flexo wrote:Both tomatoes and peppers need to be grafted in order to get a professional yield. Green grafing is difficult and time consuming, requires skill, knowledge and sterile tools.
Well........I never knew that! Wonder what I've been growing all these years? Seemed all right! :think:

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:13 pm

If you buy the plants at a nursery then they probably are grafted, but you might want a different rootstock depending on your use of either hydroponics or type of soil culture. If you grow from seed, you only get the fruitstock and there are no seeds on the market that offers both disease resistant roots and a high yield.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:24 am

My tomatoes go straight into the ground at the beginning of march ...
I usually don't bother to dig the whole plot.(that was done in October) I plant thumb pot grown plants for .20cents for canna plumb and .25 cents for canna cherry, into a spade sized dug hole with an added handful of 'bluebag' potting (3.25E for 50L) compost round the young plant.
The main weed are kept under control with an adds, and the smaller weeds with a hoe.

I prefer the basic canna variety since they grow high like the typical green house varieties in the UK
I've tried the grafted varieties, at over 1.20E per plant, and have been singularly disappointed in them.
One type was for improved mildew resistance (a common problem here close to the sea) and one was for a superior flavour and crop size. (neither of which they were)
I wont buy Special Varieties any more they aint worth the money, to me.
I might try the novelty types such as the orange or the green types WHEN they are available from commercial plant growers. Until then I just keep to what the locals grow ...

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks Martin.