Pots, barrels, containers

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
flyeogh
Resident

Pots, barrels, containers

Postby flyeogh » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi all. We will have a large terrace and a conservatory. We will need substantial containers for climbers and roses. Being in sherry country I was thinking the large bodega barrels cut in different heights.

Wondered if any gardeners had tried these and if so are there any draw backs? And if anyone knew where one might get them (preferrably not a garden centre who charge an arm and a leg).

Or any other ideas for containers that are a little different.

We are not in frost country so could go for some cheaper pots I guess. I made the mistake in the UK of not checking a few for 'frost proof'. One frost and they fell apart :lol:

Cheers :)
El raton de watford

Gasman
Resident

Re: Pots, barrels, containers

Postby Gasman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:53 pm

"sherry country" in the Asturias???
Even if you are near Jerez, you might still get stressed pots - with just a little night frost one year our pots cracked, and I suspect the intense heat in full sun on the patio in summer, then subjected to a touch of frost made them fragile?
For long term use, I agree barrels would be better but I am not sure you will find any - for sherry use, they are very expensive so even damaged ones are repaired - when they can no longer be used for sherry I understand they get sold at a high fee to Scotland for aging whiskey!!!
Good luck!
Could you make raised beds to put your climbers and ramblers in?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:55 pm

OK - just spotted your other post
"My new house is in Puerto de Santa Maria. Our stuff is in Asturias "
That sorts it then! :thumbup:

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Gasman tx. Yup sorry I left it as Asturias as we do not get the keys till end of October.

You reminded me years ago I bought scotch - Glenmorangie - stored for years in port barrels and seen they use sherry barrels as well. Delicious :)

Think I'll try and befriend someone in a bodega in el puerto. Don't mind spending quite a bit on a good barrel. But I had wondered if the barrels carried bacteria that might impact the soil. In Edinburgh the buildings where they have stored whisky are covered in a black mold.

Take your point on the odd frost but we are well protected so I think not a problem. Cheers
El raton de watford

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:33 am

Sherry Barrels are one hellova price - That's if you are in the know of where to get them ... Like you I asked about initially when we came here.
.... eventually I fond a local bodega with a stack of broken ones 'round the back' - none of which made a single barrel- but he wanted 75Euros for one that could have been cut to make a single half barrel.
Needless to say ... we use pots now -
You can get fancy large terra-cotta pots at the ceramicas or garden centres ... But we buy the Chinese ones from the bazars much much Cheaper

Remember - If you cant water them every day - DONT use pots

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:39 am

I think it might depend on your idea of 'aesthetics' ... and the scale involved ... but old oil drums can be interesting in the right place ... and keep your eye on any skip you pass ... similar with 'leftovers' at building sites ... happy hunting!

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:10 am

Martin tx interesting. To be fair 75Euros is ok with me for something if well looked after will be with me for 10 years plus and be home to a large friend. On the net a 50 litre barrel can be had for 250 Euros which seems the going rate so if I could get 2/3 for 75 I'd be happy. I only need four containers of at least 50 litres. The rest will be clay.

Ideas that have come to mind: One possible source I noted was closed bars that have used them as tables. And another option would be to buy one full of sherry and have it bottled - purely for personal use of course :lol:

Gavilan my wife wouldn't accept that but painted to reflect the heat I can see them working and looking good.

I'll get back when I find something. Enjoy
El raton de watford

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Congratulations! But why do you and gavilan live apart?

Our local bar bought two barrels as outside tables. I was aghast the other day to see one on his wood pile in bits! They cost 100 euros each - complete.