Amaranth seeds

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Unicorn
Resident

Amaranth seeds

Postby Unicorn » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Hello

In the quest of a healthier year (some hope) a friend brought me some amaranth seeds.

In googling I noticed you can not only eat them but also plant them, so I have shoved some into a pot on the terrace.

As everyone has greener fingers then except my dog, has anyone tried them?

:wave: :wave:

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Amaranth seeds

Postby Mariacristina » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:27 pm

I planted some Amaranth seeds last Autumn. Absolutely nothing happened! I will try again next month as maybe Springtime sowing will be more effective. I was advised to gently rub the seeds with fine sandpaper before planting so I shall try a few in one pot like that and a few in another pot to see if there is any difference.

I experiment quite a bit with different seeds - especially tree seeds. My garden is not very big so I have to persuade neighbours to adopt some of my experiments and re-home them in their huertas when I run out of space. I planted an Indian Bean tree seed four years ago as I was advised that seeds and leaves are edible. It is already nearly three metres tall.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi

My seeds sprouted really quickly and are growing like mad. I am no gardener so it must be the type of seed or something. The ones I have were bought in Holland and Barrett in UK . They are probably a couple of inches high now! Seem to quite like the sun and not too much water. But I`m no expert.

Will update if anything amazing happens.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 am

Interesting plant. There's a story about it in the telegraph but my iPhone won't
Copy the whole link.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:52 am

Hi sverve,
Looked to have copied the whole link, but did you use the URL Tab when you posted on The Forum.. :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:02 pm

It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela