Herbs n spices

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
LaFlaca
Tourist

Herbs n spices

Postby LaFlaca » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:07 am

Anyone got any herbs and spices they have tried growing that either worked better than expected or failed abysmally?

I am struggling with angelica, tobacco, dill, for instance, whereas ginger, turmeric, bergamot, and caraway seem to do just fine.

Is it just my non-green fingers or have others had success with unexpected herbs and spices? if so, which and where, pls?

Thanks

Martin Page
Resident

Re: Herbs n spices

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:21 am

There are always plants that don't wont t grow where you put them.... but in your case its all down to the pH of your soil. The acidity or alkalinity. You cant fight nature ... you will never win ! ... but you can fool it, but only for a short time as she will win in the end.

I would guess that you are on an Alkali /chalk type soil since the three plants you mention all want a Acid/Peat based soil with a PH about 5

If you insist on trying to grow them, you have to produce an Acid based Soil usually in pots, but your plants are too big for pots . You will have to clear an area of Garden. 'Tank' it with polythene (punctured) and fill with peat based /vegetable compost treated with an ericaceous fertiliser.
You will have the same problems with azaleas and magnolias.

Its a good idea to Google search - pH for the plants. Then you'll know your in with a fighting chance up front

LaFlaca
Tourist

Postby LaFlaca » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:40 pm

Aha! That would make sense. Am new to this gardening thing. Not really sure what soil type I am on but definitely did not consider pH. I was actually considering building a herb spiral so I could maybe create that as my alkali area and keep the acid loving plants in the normal soil. Better get a soil testing kit, I guess! Another trip to the vivero then. Thanks for this info. I could have kept getting it wrong for ages!!

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:46 am

You've got it the wrong way round ..... your soil is alkaline.
That's why acid loving plants cant cope with it.