Fruit trees and vine disasters

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Fruit trees and vine disasters

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:16 pm

It's been a worse year than usual for us and our attempts to grow fruit. For the first time our apricot was infested by fruit flies and when the fruit was ripe every single one had a small hole in it and was full of maggots inside :sick:

In the past few years our 2 mangoes flower and then are descended upon by beetles that eat all the flowers and so we don't get any fruit. This year they were later flowering than usual due to the colder spring so we missed the beetles. One tree has never produced any fruit but the other has quite a lot of little mangoes this year ..... which are now falling off one by one :thumbdown:

The grapefruit has gone yellow and is loosing its leaves. There are some oranges on some of the trees (so far :thumbup: ). My 5 year old lychee has barely ever produced flowers and only one fruit that disappeared overnight :cry: The mature fig tree has never produced edible ripe fruit. I have looked it up and it seems to be the 'wrong sort of tree' that will never produce juicy ripe figs. Our avocado got some disease a few years ago (the locals call it araña rojo) and dropped dead.

Today we have identified that one of our vines has leaf roll virus. So we are at the point of giving up altogether with the lot of them. We prune, water, feed and treat them all to no avail. On the plus side, we do have a very lush garden with beautiful bougainvillea that grow like weeds, and the lemon trees are doing well:D

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Fruit trees and vine disasters

Postby olive » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:08 pm

One of our best fruit trees has just withered . It is a plum and is loaded with fruit. Pruned it right back and just hope it recovers.

It certainly isn't all plain sailing with gardening here.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:19 pm

When we bought our finca there was an old, neglected vine growing up into alder trees by the side of a small stream that dries up in Summer. It produced around 65kg of grapes a year. We never did anything to it. Two years ago I pruned it hard and we have fewer bunches of grapes but they are much bigger than before.

We've planted 10 olive trees to go with the 150 we already have and they are still not taller than 60cm in spite of 'growing' for the past 10 years. However, they are not dead. We have one ancient fig that produces hundreds of black smooth figs every year. We never touch it other than to collect the fruit. Of the six figs we planted all but one have died. Three walnut and one hazel tree have all died. Of the 14 almonds we planted four years ago we still have five.

The five plum trees all have peach leaf curl and are fruitless this year. One old plum tree is laden with fruit but they are still quite hard. The cherry is growing like crazy at two years old but there were no blossoms so no fruit. The nectarine my OH grew from a stone had peach leaf curl for the first two years which I simply cut out. It's currently doing well with lots of fruit. The three orange trees have a white bug that we have been fighting for four years. The bug is winning.

My OH has a fabulous veggie garden and we eat from the garden with me rarely buying veggies or salad items. My rose garden is wonderful. My climbing Pierre Ronsard roses are in their second bloom. The bougainvillea is a dense wall of deep pink under my kitchen window. The three kinds of jasmine are wonderful and so are the plumbago and lantana. It's paradise.

The fruit trees remain tricky ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:08 pm

I think you have more rain than us down here Lavanda? We can go for around 5 months without any rain to speak of here. When we visited Extremadura one spring it was just glorious with fields full of wildflowers.

Although we irrigate it is so hot on the terraces where the trees are I think they just cook. It is a struggle in the summer to keep everything going as our house and terraces are dug into the rockface which heats up like night storage heaters, and the land below also seems to get hot and send up hot air to us too. That's the problem with being perched on the side of a steep hill. Like you though, some plants are thriving and the bougainvilleas grow too much and swamp the house but do look lovely! It's just the fruit that seems to get every pest and disease going. Most were already here and I don't think we would have planted so many by choice.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:21 am

Wicksey, We gave up trying to grow any produce, and now go and 'pick' our fruit and veg from the local street market or receive many 'donations' of produce from the local allotment owners...
Really liked growing are own produce....but gave it up as a bad job !
Regards,
Gordon the Failed Gardener.!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:41 am

I agree Gordon. We tried to grow a few cherry tomatoes this year in a pot in a not too hot position on the front terrace but they have done badly as well. When toms are in season here they sell them in the pueblo 2kgs for a euro. As we only buy seasonal stuff it is pretty cheap here and not worth wasting the water trying to grow them ourselves. It's just that most of it was here when we bought the house (although we added the 2 mangoes and lychee) and the first year we had bumper crops of oranges,apricots etc .... but never mind, it's just a shame to see everything diseased and wilting :(

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:53 am

I think you have more rain than us down here Lavanda? We can go for around 5 months without any rain to speak of here. When we visited Extremadura one spring it was just glorious with fields full of wildflowers.
I think we may get more rain but it does depend on areas. The north of Extremadura in the southern shadow of the Gredos Mountains there is more rain and the temperatures are around 5ºC-10ºC cooler. The cherries from the Jerté Valley come from up there. Conversely, in the south of Badajoz province about a one hour drive north of Seville, it is hot as hell in the Summer and much drier but huge areas are planted with vines. When it does rain, in the Summer during a thunderstorm for example, there's total panic because the damp grapes, steamed dry by the sun causes a mildew and has wiped out harvests before now.

I live in the middle of Extremadura and it's an agricultural area. In the 1950s a huge engineering project was constructed by damning the Guadiana River at Orellana and building a canal system that carries water hundreds of kilometres to the 'flat lands' near Don Benito. There, thousands of hectares are irrigated by subsidiary channels of water and the area is given over to rice, maize, tomatoes and thousands of fruit trees. The fruit packing co-operativas employ large numbers of local people during the season who always laugh at the explicit packing instructions for Marks and Spencer — only the best fruit, all the same size in any one pack, all the same colour, etc. etc. but they pay extra for this better quality.

The fruit orchards are planted in rows for easier maintenance and picking. Each tree is irrigated by a time-controlled system linked to the wider water irrigation system. The trees are pruned, checked over and, occasionally sprayed to prevent pests and disease. It's not organic. However, I do know that fruit trees fight pests and other plagues when they are in good health and at optimum strength. That means well-watered. Water is the first line of defence against disease. You mention, Wicksey, that you irrigate, but trees need huge amounts of water to do well and, later, to swell the fruits. How do you irrigate?

Having written that, a local man told us NOT to water the almond trees. He said they were indigenous and that no one waters the wild almond trees in the campo. This is true but they are established trees and, somehow, came through their early stages without help. We do water the almonds sparsely but we are still not sure what is the best thing to do.

The other thing we have noticed is that in the height of the Summer young fruit trees simply burn up. The leaves get toasted, burn, dry up and fall off. The sun is too fierce. Trees we have planted in semi-shade do better for us.