Avocados

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Avocados

Postby ashtondav » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:27 pm

We have many decent sized avocados, but how do you know when they are ready to be picked?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Avocados

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:31 pm

Pick them whenever you like as they do not ripen on the tree. The growers often leave them on for a couple of months to sell them when the prices suit them.

They ripen quickly once they have been picked. I imagine that the old trick about putting them in a bag with bananas will speed things up.

We just put them out in a fruit bowl at room temperature and they ripen fine. Just stagger the picking to get a continuous supply of ripe ones.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:23 pm

And then make some Guacamole. MMMMMM

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:53 am

Sliced avocado with prawns and a bit spinach. And a squeeze of lemon. Mmmmmmm
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:05 am

A part from being bigger and smoother skin in appearance; the ripening fruits' skin tend to change colour from green to purple-ish. There are variety that don't change colour but the appearance above still apply. I'd try to leave the fruits on the tree as long as possible; you can compare the taste between the "wind fall" ones and the ones you pick from the tree, wind-fall fruits definitely taste better.
I love eating fine chopped avocado with cracked ice and condensed milk.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:16 am

TORROX CAMPO WROTE: I love eating fine chopped avocado with cracked ice and condensed milk.

They say don't knock it until you have tried it but that sounds URRGGG. Not for me.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:24 pm

Ok, many thanks. I asked because. I picked a couple a week or so ago, wrapped them in newspaper (neighbours tip) and they're not yet dark.

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:52 pm

costakid wrote:TORROX CAMPO WROTE: I love eating fine chopped avocado with cracked ice and condensed milk.

They say don't knock it until you have tried it but that sounds URRGGG. Not for me.
Hi costakid! Try it, you never know :thumbup: Liquidised the avocado then add cracked ice + condensed milk: you are in heaven :D . When I lived in south east asia, we have 5-6 avocado trees and the fruits were twice or more the size of those in Spain, 2 fruits are easily over 1 KG. In season we "drink" avocado everday.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:44 am

That is some calorific drink. Two large avocados are somewhere north of 600 calories, add 100+ for the condensed milk and you've got a gut busting 700+ calories.

Better stick to vegetable smoothies and have half an avocado with a couple of Gambas.