FEEDING FRUIT TREES NOW IN UK

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
USINSPAIN
Resident

FEEDING FRUIT TREES NOW IN UK

Postby USINSPAIN » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:59 pm

my son has got some fruit trees in his garden in UK only 2 years old not done much this year, is it a good idea to give them a feed now ready for next year or should he be feeding them now anyway on a regular basis they are apple plum pear etc.Thank you

Flexo
Resident

Re: FEEDING FRUIT TREES NOW IN UK

Postby Flexo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:12 am

Not really necessary no. He might put some slow release fertilizer (not liquid) but usually it is pointless during rainy season. I wouldn't. Just put some slow release in early spring and then maybe some later in summer.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:09 am

In the UK as well as Spain, Trees need a phosphate fertiliser now to encourage good root production during the winter months. Organic phosphate fertilisers like bone meal take quite some time to break down in the soil so will last the full duration of the winter
Then in the warming Spring and the buds start to open, feed a fast release nitrogen (for growth) and Potash(for flowers and fruit)fertiliser such as miracle grow.
Stop feeding after flower fall

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Young fruit trees don't need winter phosphate fertilizer if planted in a garden, it is beneficial but not necessary. If you plant them in Costa del Sol it is another story. I can't see a reason for using fast release of anything in GB in a non-emergency situation.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:42 am

. I can't see a reason for using fast release of anything in GB in a non-emergency situation
Best have a word with MiracleGrow then .. if you think they are selling a product that has no effect

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:00 am

It has not to do with not having an effect, it has to do with it is incorrect for use outdoors in a rainy climate. Fertilizer for home use-salesmen is the modern day vacuum cleaner salesmen and the markup is often absurd (often more than 5-10 times than reasonable).

As a professional plant worker I can tell you the only sitaution when to use fast release when it is an emergency, you use it indoors, in a fertigation system or in a climate where there is no rain for a long time (like Andalucia in June). Outdoors in a garden in the UK, I would always use slow release.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:42 am

It does fine by me .... and its my opinion that I'm quoting.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:23 pm

Yeah but it is probably because you haven't learned the difference. The only way to say it is more beneficial is to do a tissue analysis and a soil analysis on two seperate plants given two seperate nutrient solutions, one with slow release and one with fast release. If you did you would probably come to the same conclusion as all the text books in my book shelf. Also, if you care for the environment you should think a little further ahead too.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:31 am

R I g h t .......