Nispero tree ... ?second fruiting?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Nispero tree ... ?second fruiting?

Postby gavilan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:58 pm

I have a mature nispero tree here ... it had hardly any fruit in May ... now it is covered in blossom as if to have a second fruiting ... that has not happened before ... does anyone know if a second harvest is possible?

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Nispero tree ... ?second fruiting?

Postby ebbnflow » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:54 pm

Never tried, I always hard prune my nisperos after fruiting :think:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:00 pm

thanks for your comment ebbnflow ... i have to admit I have never pruned my nispero tree ... it has always fruited well til earlier this year when the fruit turned black ... the bees are loving all the blossom at present ... time will tell if good fruit develop ...

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:36 pm

The nispero, or loquat, is prone to get the black-spot fungus that also does for apples, pears and roses - if they have gone black this year also look for dark spots on the leave, a mouldy smell under the leaves and markings on the bark of small branches .... they need the treatment with copper sulphate, like for vines with mildew.
Regrettably our three have all got it and once infected it is very difficult to clear ... after three years of treatment we finally had some success this year and got some decent fruit. Dead leaves, old fruiting stubs and older leaves hold onto the fungus and are best removed (from under the tree as well), and burned. As soon as the bees have finished their work and the fruit have set, you need to spray, then spray again if you can BEFORE it rains during the winter months to keep the fungus off. Next year try to spray before the flower heads open as the insects can actually spread the fungus - but we don't want to kill any bees now that they are active!! Even if you don't get any decent fruit, the smell of the blossom and the buzzing of the bees is worth having the trees in the garden!

They always flower at this time of year, with the fruits ready at end May, into June depending on the spring weather. So your flowering is surely normal and not significant of a second fruiting.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:22 pm

Thhanks very much Gasman ... a lot of useful information you gave me ... I am not sure I will be able to spray before the rain comes but, as you say, the smell of the blossom and the humming of the bees is worth havving the tree in the garden ... thanks again ...