?when to plant ... runner beans. peanuts, sunflowers

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

?when to plant ... runner beans. peanuts, sunflowers

Postby gavilan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:05 pm

Family came recently and brought me some runner bean. peanut and sunflower seeds ... but I have no idea when is the right time to plant such ... I live in the Axarquia Alta so generally a mild winter climate ... also I collected some wild caper pods/seeds and planted them (I soaked them first) but so far no show ... any advice re runner beans,peanuts, sunflower seeds ... and how to get caper seeds to grow ... would be most gratefully received ...

Flexo
Resident

Re: ?when to plant ... runner beans. peanuts, sunflowers

Postby Flexo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:33 pm

If you start them indoors it doesn't matter. Don't move them out until min night temperatures goes above 12C or so in order to maximize growth but lower temperatures won't kill them unless you go below 0C.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Flexo: thanks for that info ... are you talking about all of those seeds ie runner beans, peanuts, sunflower ?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:44 pm

Our caper bush is dormant in the winter, loosing all its leaves and looking quite dead. We are quite near the coast and it is behind the house in a sheltered position but it doesn't come back to life again until well into the spring. I don't know if this determines when the seeds will take or not but ours certainly doesn't do anything for a few months from about December/January until around April.

I would persevere and perhaps plant out any seedlings that do take next springtime. It is a spiny thing so plant it where you won't have to touch it much! Ours has got huge this year, perhaps as it's so mild. Not sure if it puts out runners or not (it is hard to access) but I would offer you some cuttings otherwise!

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:05 pm

gavilan wrote: ... and how to get caper seeds to grow ... would be most gratefully received ...
Capers in the garden can be very invasive, I have them growing all over the place. Beautiful flowers but to me they are a nusiance.
Gerry

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:41 pm

thanks Wicksey ... I know how very prickly this plant is ... so taking cuttings would be very difficult! ... I didnt know that the plant diies back in winter ...
and GerryinCajiz ... I have a couple of banks here which are incredibly dry and hot and hard to get anything to grow on them ... so had thought that capers might survive/thrive there ... it has beautiful flowers and and an interesting edible aspect/pods ... so worth a go I thought ...

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:39 pm

gavilan wrote:Flexo: thanks for that info ... are you talking about all of those seeds ie runner beans, peanuts, sunflower ?
The only two factors you need to take into consideration is temperature and light. Seeds (most often) does not need light, only temperature. Seedlings usually need a little light but not much but the temperature requirements vary. Low temperatures usually mean low photosynthesis, which in annuals usually means stunted growth if prematurely planted. If you don't know the exact weather patterns, go to the local agronomic weather station (junta de andalucia: http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/agricult ... ovincia=29 ) check the winter season minimum temperature in your area for several years back to see when the earliest outdoors phase can begin.

December is not too early to plant annuals if you start indoors.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:01 pm

gavilan wrote: and GerryinCajiz ... I have a couple of banks here which are incredibly dry and hot and hard to get anything to grow on them ... so had thought that capers might survive/thrive there ... it has beautiful flowers and and an interesting edible aspect/pods ... so worth a go I thought ...
Mine just grow wild, no water, no care, on a South facing hillside. They seem to love it. They are ( I think) self seeded from a plant growing in a breeze block wall across the road. Once you have got one, you will have no problem propagating as they will do it themselves!
Gerry