Lemon Tree Care

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
richymac

Lemon Tree Care

Postby richymac » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 am

Hi - my first post on here !

Drawn to this forum as its has one of the larger gardening sections on any Spain Forum - so even though iI am from "up" the coast in Alicante I was wondering if you can help ?

We have a lemon tree in a good sunny spot (in the ground) not overwatered and getting the right citrus fertiliser throughout the year.

Had a few good crops and earlier this year good blossom and robust growth

However, since the summer have had a fair bit of leaf drop and the fruit hasnt done well at all.

I have sprayed the tree a couple of times with the anti fungal and anti mirador sprays as a combo (smells like Jeyes) but I now have a rust like (fungus) on the leaves and on the now very stunted fruit.

Any ideas of cause and remedy ?
IMG_8119.JPG
IMG_8118.JPG
IMG_8117.JPG

Gasman
Resident

Re: Lemon Tree Care

Postby Gasman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:15 am

It looks like the tiny scale bugs rather than a fungus. They love the fruit as they mature and often start off as clumps on the new branches before moving up to the fruit. Usually, though this looks like a bad infestation, you can still use the juice though the skin is ruined. You may find these have dried out inside as the little buggers suck up all the juice. Then spray on all over - does for green fly, black fly, etc also. You may have to give up on this year's crop if they are all as bad as in the photo, but spray anyway. Next time you have flourishing new leaves and shoots and after flowering (so you don't keep the bees off) squirt the whole tree, repeat every few weeks and see how you get on.
If you have any decent ripe fruit, take them off, soak in warm water for a while, then scrub off the little blighters with a light action with a green scrubber and you may find the fruit usable after all.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:23 am

A link for you
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/ ... -scale.htm
and
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-p ... -scale.htm
I have read that olive oil performs MUCH better than any other vegetable oil for the anti-bug spray.

richymac

Postby richymac » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks Gasman for the prompt reply.

Sorry I couldn't make it out in your response , what was you suggesting the best spray was ?

richymac

Postby richymac » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Sorry - I must have posted just at the same time as you !

Link is useful cheers !

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:41 pm

:thumbup: :wave: