?anyone tried growing water lilies?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

?anyone tried growing water lilies?

Postby gavilan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:03 pm

as well as that dangerous packet of crisps, I brought back a few water lily roots from my son's pond ... has anyone tried growing such and any advice would be most welcome ...

Flexo
Resident

Re: ?anyone tried growing water lilies?

Postby Flexo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:22 am

I would grow something less tedious... they can be a real pest if you aren't into the daily routine. Just google aquatic plants and you will get a good overview. A hint is to go with the plants that doesn't have the leaves at water surface level (keep plants that grow either under or several cm above the water) in order to avoid mosquito problems. Also, if you are going to grow plants you really want a proper circulation system flowing, like a fountain or a waterfall.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm not sure you've got that right, Flexo.
I'm pretty sure water lilies prefer still water :-)

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:57 am

We have a couple in our pond. The leaves die off at this time of year so need to be removed ready for Spring growth. They make great floating platforms for the frogs to eat and mosquitoes, etc . Ours like still water but are fine with the waterfall if not too powerful so we place the pots away from it. The blooms last 2 days and they are worth growing just for those. In summer, you may have to cut a few leaves every week depending on the size of the pond but otherwise, little maintenance, except keeping the pond water level topped up. We have a few fish and the leaves provide excellent protection from the harsh sun in summer. To start the roots off, put stones in the base of a large pot, then compressed soil with the plant. I put more stones on the top to weigh it all down. Growth rate can be slow for the first two years but if you have well established roots from your sons pond, they should flower happily next Spring.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:42 pm

My point is that still water is were mosquitoes breed and you don't want mosquitoes I presume. Also, moving water is good for aeration of the water which limits the buildup of anaerobic bacteria. You cannot assume that your neigbours use best management practices with their fertilization.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:14 pm

thanks for your comments Flexo, gus and anis ... all most helpful ... I have a small charca with a cascada above which I can turn on/off as the plants prefer ... so ... vamos a ver ... thanks again