Best garden centre?

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Best garden centre?

Postby ashtondav » Sat May 20, 2017 7:53 am

Any ideas? Preferably between Nerja and Velez Malaga. Everything from bedding plants to mature citrus trees.

Also, experts - what plants or mini trees would you grow round a swimming pool? I'm guessing not bougainvillea :lolno:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Best garden centre?

Postby El Cid » Sat May 20, 2017 9:39 am

Viveros Amberes on the coast road about 1km from the town coming from Nerja.

Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat May 20, 2017 10:00 am

As always, Sid, thanks. Any ideas for pool-side plants? I have already got two sago palms in pots.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat May 20, 2017 10:19 am

I'll second Sid, a lot of Spaniards in there which must tell a tale.
Might have to explore further for mature citrus, not much stock the last time we were in there (last week)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 20, 2017 11:22 am

ashtondav wrote:As always, Sid, thanks. Any ideas for pool-side plants? I have already got two sago palms in pots.
We have tried most things and a lot will depend on the location of the pool and what is surrounding it. Ours is an integral part of the garden design. Of course, the downside is the debris that gets in the pool. After a really strong wind you can almost walk across it. It looks a bit like the Ganges after a funeral!

If you're interested I'll post some pictures later.

Sid

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat May 20, 2017 2:35 pm

ashtondav wrote: Also, experts - what plants or mini trees would you grow round a swimming pool? I'm guessing not bougainvillea :lolno:
In terms of convenience only palm trees or big leaved trees like bananas. Pine trees maybe closest 10-15m and broad leaves probably at least 20m (depends on the wind situation).

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat May 20, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm guessing you haven't got a pool Flexo or if you have there are no pines, conifers etc nearby. I've just spent 2hrs vaccing pine debris up from the last winds.
Really gardens and pools are incompatible unless you have a boy to keep it clean.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat May 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Agree Amberes is the best. Also agree that plants and pools do not go together. I also wouldn't recommend pines due to the possibility of getting the processionary caterpillars, apart from the mess.

Something with big leaves and no flowers may be OK though. We have oleanders and some strange weedy wispy weed-like tree overhanging ours at the mo and they're a pain, although we keep our pool covered all the time which helps keep it a bit clearer.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sat May 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Lyric wrote:I'm guessing you haven't got a pool Flexo or if you have there are no pines, conifers etc nearby. I've just spent 2hrs vaccing pine debris up from the last winds.
Really gardens and pools are incompatible unless you have a boy to keep it clean.
Depends on what type of pine it is and how much wind you have and of course how often you intend to clean the pool. If pool cleaning is an issue it it not only a question of plants in your area but proximity to neighbors and the shape of the pool etc. Round pools are more difficult to clean than pools with sharp corners.