Washington Palm Pruning

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
jimmy7
Tourist

Washington Palm Pruning

Postby jimmy7 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:15 pm

There are 27 Washington palms on our community some are in private gardens the rest in community garden.
These are normally pruned in late May, however there are a few on our community that always complain this is not the right time.

At the moment the palms are shedding the flowers and causing a great deal of mess, next it will be the pea sized seeds. This seems to be the right time to prune the palms.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Washington Palm Pruning

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:22 pm

You are right. I had mine pruned about a month ago (as I have been doing for some time) as the flowers were getting everywhere. Yes, they will look a bit naked for a few weeks until the branches drop back down.

Palms grow strongly all the year round so there is no particular time when pruning is preferable. Also, producing the huge flower pods and the subsequent flowering and production of the seeds takes a lot of strength out of the tree. You continually dead head flowering plants for that reason, palms are no different.

Sid