wrinkly olives

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Gasman
Resident

wrinkly olives

Postby Gasman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:24 pm

I seem to remember not too long ago on here we were talking about wrinkly olives .... cant find the link - must be looking in the wrong place ...

Anyway, our olives in spite of regular watering had the most nasty wrinkled and dried up fruit that were turning black early and the green ones were also very dry looking an not growing at all well a few weeks ago - so since that rain we had last week, they have all plumped up and lost all their wrinkles! Chatted to our local expert and the opinion is that due to the shock in the drought that they had, even though they are turning a nice colour of purple, we should not harvest just yet - they need to not only lose their wrinkles, but also absorb some goodness and get the oil developed in the flesh and the stones.

So end of November at least for the olives for oil this year, over here in Huelva. Just goes to show what a good downpour does for the garden, that watering by drip feed just cannot do.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: wrinkly olives

Postby olive » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Poor harvest ahead in general for our area. Had a combination of problems this year with the drought being the crown. I expect a small increase in the price paid for olives at the co op and an increase in the price of olive oil.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: wrinkly olives

Postby Enrique » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi,
Very mixed here some trees no olives at all, others looking good and turning purple.

The local Mill owner has processed his early green ones to get a bright green oil, the rest of us are waiting until end November before picking.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.