Mature Fruit Trees

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Mature Fruit Trees

Postby Ricasso » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:20 am

Hello all,

I'm brand new on this forum and want to say hi.
Of course, I have a question. My partner and I are about to buy some land in Cómpeta and plan to plant some fruit trees. We're thinking of Avocados, Citrus, maybe Mango and would be grateful if someone could point us in the right direction with regard to obtaining trees and when's best to plant. We're hoping that the trees we buy are mature enough to fruit... asap! We know we're being optimistic here but is this possible?
Any advice or pointers where we can obtain information about planting mature trees and their care would be most appreciated..

Muchas gracias de antemano!!
Ricasso,
Axarquía

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mature Fruit Trees

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:42 am

Ricasso,
Welcome to the forum... :wave:

I've only dabbled with growing fruit trees ,but I'm sure someone will be along soon to offer expert advice.
But may I suggest that you first visit your nearest garden centre and ask their advice and get some quotes as to cost etc., they will be able to give you correct instructions about planting and what grows well in your area.

Are you hoping to sell your produce or is it just for 'home consumption'...?

Regards,
Gordon

Torrox_campo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Torrox_campo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:41 am

If you have access to plenty of water then I can't see why not!
You woud need to do a bit of research for the varieties of plants. We have over 10 citrus plants in the garden but 5 of them are bitter orange (very sour and bitter), 3 lemon trees and we plant a lime tree when we came.

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks Gordon and Torrox_campo for your info. I think the best thing is for us to check out El Vivero first. I think there's quite a few in the area. I came across a big one in Almayate when we were last there.
The fruits are for home consumption and to give away the excess. That's the plan anyway.
The property has an irrigation system that needs some hose replacing but as we won't be living at the property full time (at least at the moment), although we're a bit worried about any 'water consumption accidents' occurring during our absence. - We have the same timer as Mohssen in this post... viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37262
Has anyone any suggestions for a reliable irrigation method/timer?!!

Thanks again both.. Have a good Sunday. It's grey, rainy and windy here in Berlin :-(
Ricasso,
Axarquía

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:15 pm

If the water in your area has a lot of cal in it then you may want to put a filter in before it reaches the irrigation pipes. Our filter is unfortunately after the irrigation and before the house and we collect loads of flakes of cal in it all the time and it certainly does clog up all the little weeper connections that feed the plants. We often do get leaks and I would try to find someone to call by to check the system in case there is a burst pipe in your absence.

I think you'll find that the fruit trees for sale locally will be pretty small and young but they will take quickly and soon grow. The garden centre should tell you when is the best time to plant if you ask them.

We don't seem to be very lucky with some of the fruit trees we have .... one of our 2 mango trees has never produced fruit and I'm sure is no bigger than when it was planted. I don't know what we doing wrong, but I am on the point of giving up and we'll beg a few fruit from our neighbours who have planted hundreds of trees around us! Perhaps we're not very greenfingered :(

I think future pruning is very important ... that's possibly where we go wrong. If you are very high up in Competa campo then perhaps some fruits may not grow as well as others as you can gets frosts up there. Our best crops are citrus fruit and vines. The lemons grow like mad and we have far too many of those, and in a good year we do get some delicious naval oranges and some grapefruit too.

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks Wicksey (again). I've found this useful video about irrigation after your suggestion. Maybe that's the way forward. I think most of our pipes need replacing, the sun seems to have made them brittle and in places they're crumbling.
I'll do a lot more reading regarding fruit trees. thanks again..
Ricasso,
Axarquía

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:25 am

Water is also an issue in Competa due to cost and availability. We are lucky to have both low cost water when irrigation is needed and land that holds a reasonably high water table.
Thus we have been successful with; oranges, lemons, avocados, plums, grapes, nispero, peach, lime, kaffir lime and I'm sure my wife will tell me I missed a few. All in low quantity for personal use, swapsies and gifting.

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:34 am

Low cost irrigation? Sounds good. Where are you??
Ricasso,
Axarquía