Bramley apple trees

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Stevemul
Resident

Bramley apple trees

Postby Stevemul » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Is there any reason why a Bramley apple tree, brought over from the UK, would not grow/ flourish in Spain ?

alisonb
Resident

Re: Bramley apple trees

Postby alisonb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:00 pm

A few years ago I asked Ken Muir, who's one of the big sellers, if they would do well here. They said not, as apparently they need a cold winter. I think a few people on here have tried them but whether they did any good I don't know
AlisonB

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 pm

A lot of fruit trees require a significant period of near zero temperatures otherwise they will not grow properly.

Sid

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've been Google researching the topic too today and found this. As our chosen garden area seldom gets full sun and in view of this recent winter weather, I think we'll give it a try!

https://fruitforum.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... -bramleys/

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:28 am

People, don't be so negative.

Where I live in Canarias, the temp min is 9ºC over winter and that's rare. Mostly min is 12 or 13.

I grow all sorts of fruit trees including apple. No problem producing fruit. They may not be huge, but they're good enough for us. Also grow apricot, plum, pear and a multitude of others.

Don't listen to the locals, they're poison !!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:10 pm

One thing to bear in mind when you are sourcing your trees is that Spain is a fireblight free zone. Reputable UK suppliers will not sell to you in Spain. UK is a fireblight zone.

That wouldn't stop you smuggling a tree back in your car from the UK and potentially introducing the disease to the Iberian peninsular. They could name it Stevemul blight :lolno:

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 am

The last time my family was involved in a plant "blight" was in 1855 in Ireland when, as a result of the Potato famine, my great great grandfather eloped to the cotton mills of Lancashire with his childhood sweetheart ( they were both 14 years old).
I wouldn't dream of besmirching his memory!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:07 am

jhonie99 wrote:People, don't be so negative.

Where I live in Canarias, the temp min is 9ºC over winter and that's rare. Mostly min is 12 or 13.

I grow all sorts of fruit trees including apple. No problem producing fruit. They may not be huge, but they're good enough for us. Also grow apricot, plum, pear and a multitude of others.

The Canaries has a less extreme range of temperatures than here I think, although I know last summer they had quite a heatwave there. We had an apricot tree here that flowered in February and the fruit was produced and finished by the end of May before the summer heat hit us.

We find keeping the garden alive in July and August is a real struggle, even with irrigation. The ground is so hot that the plants just cook (when it's 40+ in the shade then the temperature in the full sun is well over 50 .... our thermometer just shoots up to the top of the scale if we put it in the sun). I think it's the summer that will be the difficulty in trying to grow apples here.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:52 pm

jhonie99 wrote:People, don't be so negative.

Where are you Jhonie, I'm in Las Palmas ?

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:47 am

Generally speaking .....!
Bramley are not happy south of the Trent in the UK , they are very much a 'northern' tree

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:32 am

Apparetly you can grow some types of apples here in Andalucia, but I wouldn't think Bramleys were one of them. Has as been mentioned, the very hot summers here would not be suitable for apples.
As regards regarding needing low temperatures in the winter for them to do well, we certainly don't have a problem with that. Last winter got down to zero on a couple of occasions.
I think while your location is important as regards winter temperatures, the summer will be hot wherever you are in Andalucia and that would be the problem.
Btw, another problem you would have is that you need another type of apple tree or even two, (in the same flowering group), to act as a polinator for the Bramley.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:50 am

You could try Reinette. This is like a Bramley from the cooking point of view. They are fairly common in fruit and veg shops here so you should be able to buy a tree.

Sid