Gardening work

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Greendreams
Tourist

Gardening work

Postby Greendreams » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Hello folks! We are looking into work opportunities in Spain. My partner is a gardener, do you think there would be work for him in the area? Thanks for your tips!

Flexo
Resident

Re: Gardening work

Postby Flexo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 pm

I know there are plenty of unemployed gardeners in the region. I don't think English skills is the most important factor, usually in the hort business everything is counted by the number of work hours and what type of experience you have in the particular climate. Thousands of work hours in Britain doesn't necessarily mean anything in Andalucia I am afraid.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 am

I'm with flexo, most of the gardening work in Spain is on large developments or small urbanisations and usually carried out by Spaniards, you might pick up the odd bit of private work but I doubt you' would be able to create a solid, regular salary base.
It's very difficult to find work of any description in Spain unless you have very sought after talents and bear in mind that salaries for general workers in Spain are not on the same level as elsewhere in Europe.
The best chance you have of enjoying life in Spain is if you have a decent pension or a solid monthly fixed income or you have private wealth, sorry to sound downbeat but those are the facts !
Last edited by Manchesteral on Thu May 03, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu May 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Certainly it's not easy to obtain work in Spain as a foreigner, but not impossible, restricted to maybe working for expats if non Spanish speaking.
However it would not be wise to expect to get work immediately, so enough money to last a couple of years until work is established would be a common sense approach.

One of my sons did work, some years ago, as a landscape gardener at the coast, and he had more work than he could cope with ( mainly Spanish customers), he does speak fluent Spanish though !
My advice to anyone seeking work in Spain is be prepared to be adaptable and don't expect to be earning a fortune !

Regards,
Gordon