Goat fertilizer

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Goat fertilizer

Postby Rummii » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi all
I am working on veggie plots and have got hold of some goat poo from our local goat farmer.
It’s. Very dry and most of it is powdery so I think it’s been dried in sun for a while.
The advice I need. Is can I use it straight in my veggie plots do I. Need to do anything with it .?..
I was going to mix it with some bought bags of compost as are soil quality is none existent at moment .?
And is it safe on veggies that will be eaten soon?
From a novice gardener trying to learn :oops:
Thanks

fincalospinos
Resident

Re: Goat fertilizer

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:03 am

I bought some a few years ago from a local goat farm. Added it to garden soil and planted up. Problem we had was with fleas, ticks and some type of worm that was present in the manure. We had to fumigate everything completely. Had I known beforehand I would have carried this out prior
to adding to the soil. The manure itself isnt very strong, but added to compost or soil will help the soil structure, however there is not that much nutrient.
Hardworking resident !!

Rummii
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Rummii » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:59 pm

Thanks for your reply

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Like any manure, you need to let it rot down for at least a couple of months, (probably longer), before using it, otherwise it will burn any plants it comes into contact with. If you have a compost heap add it to that. We were being supplied with bags of it, but were warned off it by friends saying it was full of goat fleas. Never noticed any myself, but as we have dogs, we stopped using it.