White mould - rotting oranges on tree

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
fyfin
Resident

White mould - rotting oranges on tree

Postby fyfin » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:34 pm

We have a relatively young orange tree and this year we had lots of oranges for the first time. However, when I was showing my sister who was visiting she spotted some of them were soft and covered in what looked like a white/blue mould. When I looked closely I could see there were quite a few like this so I took them off. Most of them didn't seem ripe but I took them all off anyway and juiced them, it tasted Ok actually but I wondered if I should have sprayed the tree with something.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: White mould - rotting oranges on tree

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:29 pm

We bought a sack from carrefour last week, unfortunately we had to throw at least 10 oranges away because they were soft and mouldy.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

fyfin
Resident

Re: White mould - rotting oranges on tree

Postby fyfin » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:37 pm

This has happened to us before when we bought some from the market and left them in a fruit bowl. My wife thought it was something they had been sprayed with but we had washed them. Still a bit of a mystery
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it