sky cut off

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
ht006d5256
Andalucia.com Amigo

sky cut off

Postby ht006d5256 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:21 am

Has anyone been affected by the reported cut off for sky users in Andalucia as reported in the Olive Press issue 16 and would this affect free viewing ?????
Howard

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:30 am

ht006d5256
Andalucia.com Amigo

sk cut off

Postby ht006d5256 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:04 pm

th anks for that but as I am only on dial it takes forever to trawl through past postings so it is easier to rely on members experience to guide us less experienced so thanks again
Howard

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:15 pm

I think the people who have been cut off are the ones who have paid for their Sky card through an agent. Some of these agents have gone out of business or been rumbled, or both!!

If you have a Sky card registered in your name (or close family) in the UK there isn't a problem.

scampicat
Resident

Freeview Box?

Postby scampicat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:37 am

We are thinking of getting a Freeview Box from the UK and buying the big dish which we have been told will enable it to work (never had Sky).

I know nothing about satellite TV. Will this set-up be affected by the above?

Thanks

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:58 am

No, but do not bring a Freeview box as it is for the reception of terrestrial TV channels and cannot be connected to a satellite dish.

What you need is a free to air satellite receiver similar to one of those shown in these links:

http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/products/f2-1002.asp

http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/artikel.php?a=51

These receivers will only get the free to air channels which currently consist of all BBC and ITV channels but not Channel 4 or Five and none of the Sky channels except Sky news. Therefore they are not affected by the switch off of cards obtained through an intermediary.

They are available in Spain for around €100. The Silvercrest, when it is available is only about €50

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:34 am

I have satellite and i dont pay monthly...I thought i had a freeview box, but it must be what beachcomber mentions...

however, whilst I dont get channel 5 (although friends of mine with same set up do!) I do get channel 4, and sky three. Also get film 4.

Another friend of mine was here recently and suggested he could add extra channels for me, quite simple apparently...I declined....what enough Sh*te with the channels i have without having more sh*te to chose from lol

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:47 am

I would assume you have a Sky digibox with a free to view card.

There is a difference between 'freeview' 'free to view' and 'free to air' which is detailed here:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview.htm

You can now only use the 'add channels' facility on a Sky digibox if you have a Sky subscription card.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:20 pm

Thanks for all your help. I'm so confused over this. I had a system quoted at 500 euros supplied and installed. Then a friend told me all I had to do was buy a £10 freeview box from Tesco. Then someone else told me I only needed a small dish (I already have an 80cm one with theSpanish Freeview bocx that I have at the moment). We know the small dish won't receive the channels as we have tried someone else's box.

So it seems that if this box costs 100 euros and the satellite dish costs 260 euros then the 500 euros I was quoted WASN'T beyond the pale????

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:26 pm

You need a dish of at least 1,2m to be able to receive BBC and ITV and maybe more depending on your location.

Do not confuse a freeview terrestrial receiver (TDT in Spain) with a digital satellite receiver. The former is for receiving signals through a rooftop antenna and the latter from a satellite dish.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:05 pm

I did know about the large dish but I wasn't sure what box to get as everyone else I know has bought a Sky box with them from the UK.

Our sustem at the moment only cost 90 euros from Ldl; it is a European system and has tons of European channels, but only receives Sky News, BBC World, a Business programme and CNN in English. We took a gamble when we bought it and it has served us well for two years - but we get SO fed up of watching news!

Thanks for all your help, I know what to get now and can say 'yah mogglers ' to all those who tell me ALL I have to do is buy a £10 freeview box from Asda and plug it into my 80cm dish.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:30 pm

not a €10 asda box but a second hand €20 sky box over here with a 1.2 / 1.3 m dish, with a universal LNB.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi Scampicat. how did you get on? did you manage to get your sky sorted and now watching somehing other than the news?

karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:01 am

Hi there, thanks for thinking of us, how kind!

We decided not to bother with the TV at the moment as we have finally found a builder who is not busy for the next ten years and have started having our little wreck next door renovated.

However, I'm sure we will do it at some point in the future when we've saved some more euros, and now we will know what to get.

Thanks again!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:30 pm

hi, thats good to hear. We did exactly the same thing. we moved in the july and never got around to having Sky put in, til the following May.
Its amazing. we never missed it when we never had it, but when we got it, we were amazed how we managed with out it (well, me with my soaps and OH with the footie)!!

All the best wit your bulders,

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Dealer
Resident

Re: Freeview Box?

Postby Dealer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:06 am

scampicat wrote:We are thinking of getting a Freeview Box from the UK and buying the big dish which we have been told will enable it to work (never had Sky).
Freeview works with a 'digital aerial' and not a sat dish so won't work here!
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:36 pm

Yes, someone has explained it to me on this thread, thanks anyway!

vindaloo1973
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby vindaloo1973 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:50 am

I have been installing Albanian Digital TV. It's a lot cheaper than Sky, you only need a 80cm dish, and most programmes can be changed into English. They also show 6 live prem games a weekend in English. Far better value than Sky. PM me for more details.
Positive things happen to positive people.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:25 am

we have been looking into subscribing to Satanta-cheaper than sky...irish i believe.We are paying approx 50.00GBP a month for the sport channels for sky,along with the other junk that you have on there...just not worth the money... :cry:

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:41 am

We have a pre-installed rental cable system with 60 channels including all UK ones & Sky Sports 1,2,3 & Eurosport, but it costs 324 Euros a year.
( yes I know it is cheap compared with UK). I only watch football and Tom & Jerry, can I get just both those for a couple of quid? :wink: :)