PC Virus

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

PC Virus

Postby pilgrim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:49 am

Whats happening?? Yesterday I got virus alert Droper.Inor which I think I got rid of, (ran the AVGscan and it did not show up , now today when I turnned on my NOD32 2.5 detected another virus Trojan horseBack Door Generic SYK, I also run AVG . I did try to download Spyware yesterday, but managed to get SpybotWare :oops: and I cant get rid of the dam thing.
Any suggestions, do need to get a professional to look at it?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:11 am

go to settings, control panel and to add/remove programmes. highlight which programme you want to remove and confirm removal.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:18 am

Thanks for the reply but I have already done this and after taking an age comes up with something like you do not have authorisation ............

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:24 am

just tried again, it seems to get stuck, I try to cancel and it comes up with Service antispyware (antispyfilter) could not be stopped, Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services then gives the option to retry or cancel

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:31 am

when you installed it, was it from an online source ie : website? or was it a generic site such as www.download.com? if it was the companys site there should be removal instructions on there ?

alternativly, reboot in safe mode and see if you can delete it there. it shouldn't be running ?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:58 am

If all else fails and you can wait til the weekend I'll have a look at it then.
Brian.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:11 am

Yes please Brian, thankyou.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:14 pm

I don't think you should be running two antivirus programs at the same time.

Apart from one of your antivirus programs you also need Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware and Spywareblaster. There are many others with similar sounding names as you have discovered which, when you run them, give you false positives then say that you need to buy the program to remove the bad items they claim to have found.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:52 pm

Swatit is also good but if you can get onto the internet might I suggest trying House call ( Trend Micro) this will do a scan in real time over the net I I would thoroughly endorse their service. You get as full scan and clean if you so chose.

Just google house call, I would post the link but over recent days I feel that I will not bother. Nothing personal just I found links to be ineffective in certain circumstances.

I have concluded, within the last few minutes either I am getting old or I am losing my mind. I have just wandered off into the kitchen knowing exactly what I was going there for. I got there, looked around and for the life of me I could not work out why I had gone there. I scanned the kitchen hoping for a hint and then I vaguely saw my specs, yep that was it. OMG does it get worse?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:01 pm

Invest in Prevx 2. £14.50, una ganga!
http://www.prevx.com/
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:50 am

Troglodfae.
Welcome to the geriatric gentlefolks club, and yes it get's a whole lot worse but you eventually forget what it was like before it got worse.

Mhic.

Karipentti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Karipentti » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:38 pm

Beachcomber wrote:There are many others with similar sounding names as you have discovered which, when you run them, give you false positives then say that you need to buy the program to remove the bad items they claim to have found.
I ran into one of these lately when trying desperately to get rid of the "searchportal" hijacker. I duly paid the required price but since the product never did what it was supposed to do I raised hell and promptly got my money back.
Things could be worse...

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:01 pm

There's plenty of free stuff out there to deal with nasties, without shelling out for it!

Try Superantispyware - free edition - does not protect in real time in free mode, but as an on demand scanner has a good reputation for cleaning spyware.

COMODO BOClean is free and will stop many, many trojans, keyloggers etc. if they try to execute their code.

Adaware free is good for on demand scanning, as is Spybot Search & Destroy, both free as is Spyware Blaster.

Many good anti-virus vendors have on-line scanning, free. Try Eset, (NOD32) among others.

For good information on security look here:- http://tinyurl.com/vnbf

or here:- http://tinyurl.com/27qm32

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Spyware Doctor is supposed to be one of the more legitimate paid for antispyware programs. It has recently become available free through Google Pack so I tried it.

The scan showed that I had a Trojan CWS (Cool Web Search) but when I ran the removal scan I found that my favourites link to my Telefonica web mail was missing.

I put it back in and the same happened next time. It transpired that Spyware Doctor was saying that my link to Telefonica was a trojan. If It wasn't for the fact that I had got the program free from Google Pack I would probably have paid for the full Spyware Doctor program but for what? Just to erase my link to Telefonica!

I am sticking to AVG, Spywareblaster, Spybot, Adaware and CCleaner from now on.

EDIT

Pigs-might-fly, I wrote this before I saw your reply above. Is COMODO BOClean compatible with the programs I have mentioned?

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 pm

COMODO link here - http://tinyurl.com/2z9hqx

It's called COMODO AntiMalware on that page.

It runs perfectly on XP with COMODO Firewall, Superantispyware Pro, (real time protection),COMODO Memory Guard, Spyware Blaster and NOD32 Anti-virus.
In addition I have CCleaner, Adaware free, Spybot Search & Destroy for on demand scanning.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Here: AVG Pro antivirus, Adaware Plus and Spybot for malware and ZoneAlarm firewall (which will also do a spyware scan).
Brian.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:03 pm

A free version of AVG 8 is being released by Grisoft today.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:42 pm

I might try it, too.
At present I'm running a six month trial of Avira PE Premium, V8 and it is very good.
Whether I'll pay for it when the trial runs out is another matter, but their free version is just as good on protection, but can be a tad slow on updating.(Servers give priority to paying customers as you might expect)

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:53 pm

I tried Superantispyware last week. My pc slowed down almost immediately, thought it was just coincidence and ran the program plus Adaware and Spybot but still the same. Removed it again and pc back to normal :D well as normal as my pc ever gets :?