Internet access when splitting time between Spain & UK

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Cassandra
Resident

Internet access when splitting time between Spain & UK

Postby Cassandra » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:58 pm

We'll be spending 2/3 months in the UK next year and don't want to pay telefonica for 3 months internet we won't be using. I know we'll have to carry on paying for the phone or risk losing the line and/or number :roll:

How do any of you who split your time manage internet access? Do you pay 12 months in both locations or is there a reasonable way around it?

I was planning to look into a mobile service, particularly if I could use it in the UK as well but don't want to be tied to a 12 month contract anywhere. Is it possible to find a provider that will cover both countries? Is mobile internet access reliable, reasonably quick and are the costs prohibitive?

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

UK/Spain internet access

Postby poppylou » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:49 pm

In Spain we have a wi-fi (? well, a small satellite dish points at a mast down the valley) broadband internet service which, after the first six months, allows us to opt in and out of its service while we are away. We still pay for the Telefonica line while we are away.

In the UK, we use any local library, nearly all of which are free of charge. We decided against a laptop because it is something else to secure/lose etc, etc.

Of course, if you need it for business or use it for more things than we do, our UK option won't appeal to you.

Best wishes

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:03 pm

poppy, you in alhaurin ?

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:55 pm

I've yet to find out if there is any public internet access where we'll be staying in Scotland but that may be an option. Here we're with telefonica which is good and reliable so I may just cancel and re-start on return, have some time to sort it out anyway. I know they have a holiday service but it's probably only for 2nd homes in Spain where you can switch the service for the summer. The Iberbanda option is not good for us as our local service is next to useless, something to do with the positioning of the local mast and local terrain as a little further east and with a different mast they have an excellent service.

Not reliant on the internet for business, just get twitchy if I don't get online every day :oops:

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:48 pm

In our place in Nr Gijon I don't have a phone line. :shock: Never got around to it, I use A spamish PAYG for emergency calls and a laptop utilising wi-fi in bars or even outside bars if I feeling scroogelike. :D

I actually run a business from the laptop and I find wi-fo everyhwere.

I am hoping to receive one of thesehttp://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24 ... odelmenu=1 for Xmas, a laptop is too big to carry around and a pda/phone is far too small to work from.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:16 pm

That looks a very nice piece of kit Mark, hope you've been a good boy and Santa brings one for you :D

The wifi route sounds like a possibility, I take it that means you don't pay for internet access at all? Is there any kind of map available that shows wifi hotspots? Something like the one they have for speed cameras maybe?

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:37 pm

Hi Mark scuse my ignorance what is Wi-fo, when in Spain I use Vodaphone 3G I only use a laptop, in general I'm very happy with it but I'm always open to suggestions.
Ah! the full english!!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:03 pm

[quote="Cassandra"] Is there any kind of map available that shows wifi hotspots? Something like the one they have for speed cameras maybe?[/quote]

Download a programme like Network Stumbler onto your laptop, and drive around until it picks up an unencrypted signal. :D Mind you, it's illegal! Or do a search for sites like this, http://tinyurl.com/ytutw4
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:56 pm

Cassandra wrote:That looks a very nice piece of kit Mark, hope you've been a good boy and Santa brings one for you :D

The wifi route sounds like a possibility, I take it that means you don't pay for internet access at all? Is there any kind of map available that shows wifi hotspots? Something like the one they have for speed cameras maybe?
It seems everywhere is sold out, but she is still looking (or better be :D ). I can hardly believe that they are so cheap, I have no need for a laptops capabilities when all I want to do is to use word documents and send emails. No wonder the bloody things are sold out!

Google up wi-fi locations in spain and you will find maps. However, up here most bars have it, advertised or not, for the price of a coffee I can do my work. If I wanted I can sit on the prom and still pick up a signal, not that I would of course :wink:

Retro, Wi-Fi.