Pay as you go mobile phones

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Graye
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Graye » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:54 pm

We will be coming to Spain for a two month holiday starting on the 5th of next month after having finally moved away last year from Spain and cancelling all our mobiles etc. We plan on buying a couple of PAYG SIMs while we are there. As our last mobile was on contract I have no idea of the initial costs etc. Can we just go into a Movistar office and buy one over the counter? Any ideas on price etc? We each have unlocked English mobiles which will presumably work fine.

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:18 pm

It's very cheap, well under 20 euros and that includes some credit, we also had the option of one foreign country at very very cheap prices after 6pm and weekends.I think concorde mentioned it earlier......just remember to top up once every 6 months.!!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:27 pm

spanish_lad wrote:
concorde wrote:the daft thing is that the calls are so cheap that it would have taken us ages to use the money up

you ARE kidding i hope?? :shock:

establish a call 17.4c, then 68.4c a min to a spanish land line or mobile, so 85c per 1 minute call??

you think thats cheap?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Eh? With Movistar it's 3cents per minute to selected family & friends. One special number you get for 1 cent a minute. (Calls within Spain).

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Movistar prices.

Postby Mowser » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:30 pm

Regarding "mi cinco" and other plans...the prices are per minute NOT per second.

hybridanglo
Tourist

Re: Pay as you go mobile phones

Postby hybridanglo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:05 pm

concorde wrote:...After studying the booklet and struggling with translating we came to the conclusion that if you don't credit your phone before 6 months elapse you will be cut off and your number given to someone else.
what a scam as we had over 16euros on it.
As someone who worked for Vodafone at the launch of Pay As You Go, the 6 month issue has always been in place, in the UK, Spain, wherever and, as far as I'm aware, on all networks. It's right there, in the terms and conditions.
Of course, the language confusion is understandable, but unfortunately, it's common practice, intended to encourage frequent usage and top-up.
At least you know, as indeed we all do now, for future reference.